Rabbit meat consumption in Kenya
A survey was undertaken in 7 counties in Kenya covering a total of 300 rabbit farmers. Another 100 non rabbit keeping farmers was similarly interviewed for comparison purposes. Questions on the survey instrument sought to identify consumption patterns of rabbit meat among the sample farmers. Results were subjected to chi square test for association in an attempt to identify characteristics of respondents that might be pointers to rabbit meat consumption. Education, the number of rabbits kept—as well as whether the farmers actually kept rabbits were strong pointers towards making a particular farmer also a consumer of rabbit meat. Income (in this study, expenditure was used as a proxy for incomes) and the region of residence were marginally associated with rabbit meat consumption. Only 38 percent of non-rabbit farmers consumed rabbit meat compared to 82 percent for those who kept rabbits. The frequency of rabbit meat consumption was found to be very low, even for rabbit keepers with 46 percent of this group doing so at most, once every 12 months compared to 73 percent for non-rabbit farmers.
|Date of creation:||24 Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McLean-Meyinsse, Patricia E., 2000. "Assessing The Market Outlook For Rabbit Meat In Louisiana And Texas," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 31(01), March.
- Alboghdady, Mohamed Altabei & Alashry, Mohamed Khairy, 2010. "The demand for meat in Egypt: An almost ideal estimation," African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, African Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 4(1), March.
- Beal, Meghan N. & McLean-Meyinsse, Patricia E. & Atkinson, Cheryl, 2004. "An Analysis Of Household Consumption Of Rabbit Meat In The Southern United States," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 35(01), March.
- Gamba, Paul, 2005. "Urban Domestic Consumption Patterns for Meat: Trends and Policy Implications," Working Papers 202626, Egerton University, Tegemeo Institute of Agricultural Policy and Development.
- Kallas, Zein & Maria Gil, Jose, 2011. "A Dual Response Choice Experiments (DRCE) design to assess rabbit meat preference in Catalonia: A Heteroescedatistic Extreme-Value Model," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114779, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Alboghdady, Mohamed Altabei & Alashry, Mohamed Khairy, 2010. "The demand for meat in Egypt: An almost ideal estimation," Journal of Cooperatives, NCERA-210, vol. 4(1), March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:41517. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.