The demand for meat in Egypt: An almost ideal estimation
This paper analyzes the demand for meat in Egypt for the period 1990â€“2005 using the linearized Almost Ideal Demand System to estimate own-price, cross-price and expenditure elasticities. It found that the Marshallian own-price elasticity was the highest for fish, followed by chicken, beef and duck. On the other hand, the crossprice elasticity of beef showed a complementary relationship with the other meat types, except for fish, which is substitutive. Chicken and fish showed a substitutive relationship with all other meat types. Duck showed a substitutive relationship with all meats except rabbit. Mutton and rabbit showed a versatile relationship with the other meat types. The highest substitutive relationship was between mutton and beef. Compensated own-price elasticity estimates showed similar trends but smaller values than uncompensated ones, which is theoretically consistent
Volume (Year): 04 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 342 Waters Hall, Manhattan, Kansas 66506|
Web page: http://www.agecon.ksu.edu/accc/ncera210/JournalofCooperatives.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raghbendra Jha & Anurag Sharma, 2001. "Structural Breaks and Unit Roots: A Further Test of the Sustainability of the Indian Fiscal Deficit," ASARC Working Papers 2001-08, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Eales, James S. & Unnevehr, Laurian J., 1994.
"The inverse almost ideal demand system,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 101-115, January.
- Eales, James S. & Unnevehr, Laurian J., 1991. "The Inverse Almost Ideal Demand System," Staff Paper Series 232516, University of Alberta, Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology.
- Alston, Julian M & Foster, Kenneth A & Green, Richard D, 1994. "Estimating Elasticities with the Linear Approximate Almost Ideal Demand System: Some Monte Carlo Results," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(2), pages 351-356, May.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-326, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)