The demand for meat in Egypt: An almost ideal estimation
This paper analyzes the demand for meat in Egypt for the period 1990â€“2005 using the linearized Almost Ideal Demand System to estimate own-price, cross-price and expenditure elasticities. It found that the Marshallian own-price elasticity was the highest for fish, followed by chicken, beef and duck. On the other hand, the crossprice elasticity of beef showed a complementary relationship with the other meat types, except for fish, which is substitutive. Chicken and fish showed a substitutive relationship with all other meat types. Duck showed a substitutive relationship with all meats except rabbit. Mutton and rabbit showed a versatile relationship with the other meat types. The highest substitutive relationship was between mutton and beef. Compensated own-price elasticity estimates showed similar trends but smaller values than uncompensated ones, which is theoretically consistent
Volume (Year): 04 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 342 Waters Hall, Manhattan, Kansas 66506|
Web page: http://www.agecon.ksu.edu/accc/ncera210/JournalofCooperatives.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raghbendra Jha & Anurag Sharma, 2001. "Structural Breaks and Unit Roots: A Further Test of the Sustainability of the Indian Fiscal Deficit," ASARC Working Papers 2001-08, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Eales, James S. & Unnevehr, Laurian J., 1994.
"The inverse almost ideal demand system,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 101-115, January.
- Eales, James S. & Unnevehr, Laurian J., 1991. "The Inverse Almost Ideal Demand System," Staff Paper Series 232516, University of Alberta, Department of Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology.
- Alston, Julian M & Foster, Kenneth A & Green, Richard D, 1994. "Estimating Elasticities with the Linear Approximate Almost Ideal Demand System: Some Monte Carlo Results," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 76(2), pages 351-356, May.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-326, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlcoop:93884. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.