Peace economists and peace economics
We define peace economics as the economic study and design of political, economic, and cultural institutions, their interrelations, and their policies to prevent, mitigate, or resolve any type of latent or actual destructive conflict within and between societies. Differentiating peace economics from defense/military economics, conflict economics, and security economics, we assert that while founded on positive precepts, peace economics is distinct for its normative character. We place peace economics within a larger framework of positive peace and social system sustainability and briefly discuss some challenges.
|Date of creation:||21 Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Robst & Solomon Polachek & Yuan-Ching Chang, 2007.
"Geographic Proximity, Trade, and International Conflict/Cooperation,"
Conflict Management and Peace Science,
Peace Science Society (International), vol. 24(1), pages 1-24, February.
- Robst, John & Polachek, Solomon & Chang, Yuan-Ching, 2006. "Geographic Proximity, Trade and International Conflict/Cooperation," IZA Discussion Papers 1988, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Vincenzo Bove & Ron Smith, 2011. "The Economics of Peacekeeping," Chapters, in: Handbook on the Economics of Conflict, chapter 10 Edward Elgar.
- Jurgen Brauer, 2007. "Book Review of Ruttan," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55, pages 627-631.
- del Castillo, Graciana, 2008. "Rebuilding War-Torn States: The Challenge of Post-Conflict Economic Reconstruction," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199237739, March.
- Blomberg, S. Brock & Hess, Gregory D. & Weerapana, Akila, 2004. "Economic conditions and terrorism," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 463-478, June.
- Joshua Hall & Robert Lawson, 2009. "Economic Freedom and Peace," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 37(4), pages 445-446, December.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521447287 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fanny Coulomb & Keith Hartley & Michael Intriligator, 2008. "Pacifism In Economic Analysis: A Historical Perspective," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(5), pages 373-386.
- Jurgen Brauer & J. Paul Dunne, 2006. "Introduction: A new journal," Economics of Peace and Security Journal, Economists for Peace and Security, vol. 1(1), pages 4-5, January.
- Ruttan, Vernon W., 2005. "Military Procurement and Technology Development," Staff Papers 13639, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Faini, Riccardo & Annez, Patricia & Taylor, Lance, 1984. "Defense Spending, Economic Structure, and Growth: Evidence among Countries and Over Time," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(3), pages 487-98, April.
- Caruso Raul, 2003.
"The Impact of International Economic Sanctions on Trade: An Empirical Analysis,"
Peace Economics, Peace Science, and Public Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 9(2), pages 1-36, April.
- Raul Caruso, 2003. "The Impact of International Economic Sanctions on Trade An empirical Analysis," International Trade 0306001, EconWPA.
- repec:uwe:journl:v:2:y:2006:i:1:p:6-15 is not listed on IDEAS
- Garfinkel, Michelle R. & Skaperdas, Stergios (ed.), 2012. "The Oxford Handbook of the Economics of Peace and Conflict," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195392777, March.
- Asch, Beth J. & Hosek, James R. & Warner, John T., 2007. "New Economics of Manpower in the Post-Cold War Era," Handbook of Defense Economics, Elsevier.
- Raul Caruso, 2010. "Butter, Guns And Ice-Cream Theory And Evidence From Sub-Saharan Africa," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(3), pages 269-283.
- repec:uwe:journl:v:2:y:2006:i:1:p:71-76 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521875578 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:34927. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.