Role of Agricultural Research and Extension in Enhancing Agricultural Productivity in Punjab, Pakistan
In this study long run relationship between agricultural research and TFP (total factor productivity) is estimated by using Cointegration technique for 1970-2005. The results of the long run relationship between TFP and agricultural research indicate that agricultural research has a significant and positive impact on TFP. The estimated coefficient of research is 0.571 and it is significant at 1 percent level of significance. Granger-causality tests show a bidirectional relationship between research and productivity. The estimate of marginal internal rate of return (MIRR) to research is found to be 73 percent, indicating that Punjab agricultural research system remained productive.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mullen, John D., 2007. "Productivity growth and the returns from public investment in R&D in Australian broadacre agriculture," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(4), December.
- Hendry, David F. & Ericsson, Neil R., 1991.
"Modeling the demand for narrow money in the United Kingdom and the United States,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 833-881, May.
- David F. Hendry & Neil R. Ericsson, 1990. "Modeling the demand for narrow money in the United Kingdom and the United States," International Finance Discussion Papers 383, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Schimmelpfennig, David & Thirtle, Colin & van Zyl, Johan & Arnade, Carlos & Khatri, Yougesh, 2000.
"Short and long-run returns to agricultural R&D in South Africa, or will the real rate of return please stand up?,"
Blackwell, vol. 23(1), pages 1-15, June.
- Schimmelpfennig, David & Thirtle, Colin & Zyl, Johan van & Arnade, Carlos Anthony & Khatri, Yougesh, 2000. "Short and long-run returns to agricultural R&D in South Africa, or will the real rate of return please stand up?," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 23(1), June.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- Shenggen Fan, 2000. "Research Investment and the Economic Returns To Chinese Agricultural Research," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 163-182, September.
- John Mullen, 2007. "Productivity growth and the returns from public investment in R&D in Australian broadacre agriculture," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(4), pages 359-384, December.
- Julia Hall & Grant M Scobie, 2006. "The Role of R&D in Productivity Growth: The Case of Agriculture in New Zealand: 1927 to 2001," Treasury Working Paper Series 06/01, New Zealand Treasury.
- Mullen, John D., 2007. "Productivity Growth and the Returns from Public Investment in R&D in Australian Broadacre Agriculture," 2007 Conference (51st), February 13-16, 2007, Queenstown, New Zealand 9451, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Colin Thirtle & Lin Lin Lin & Jim Holding & Lindie Jenkins & Jenifer Piesse, 2004. "Explaining the Decline in UK Agricultural Productivity Growth," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(2), pages 343-366.
- Jorge Fernandez-Cornejo & C. Richard Shumway, 1997. "Research and Productivity in Mexican Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 738-753.
- Shujat Ali, 2005. "Total Factor Productivity Growth and Agricultural Research and Extension: An Analysis of Pakistan's Agriculture, 1960-1996," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 44(4), pages 729-746.
- Makki, Shiva S. & Thraen, Cameron S. & Tweeten, Luther G., 1999. "Returns to American Agricultural Research: Results from a Cointegration Model," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 185-211, March.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-1072, June.
- Araji, A.A. & White, Fred C. & Guenthner, Joseph F., 1995. "Spillovers And The Returns To Agricultural Research For Potatoes," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(02), December.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:27769. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.