The Impact Of Government Policies On Agricultural Productivity And Structure: Preliminary Results
Our paper begins with a consideration of the causal relationships among productivity, farm structure, government farm payments and public investments in research and extension. We then empirically test key relationships for a relatively recent period (1960-96) in the history of agricultural structural adjustment using a simultaneous equations econometric model. Future work will expand and refine the measurement of variables thought to explain the relationship between productivity and structure.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ahearn, Mary Clare & Yee, Jet & Ball, V. Eldon & Nehring, Richard F., 1998. "Agricultural Productivity in the United States," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33687, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Rausser, Gordon C., 1991.
"Predatory versus productive government: the case of U.S. agricultural policies,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt21913950, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Gordon C. Rausser, 1992. "Predatory versus Productive Government: The Case of U.S. Agricultural Policies," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(3), pages 133-157, Summer.
- Rausser, Gordon C., 1991. "Predatory versus productive government : the case of U.S. agricultural policies," CUDARE Working Paper Series 613, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Rausser, Gordon C., 1992. "Predatory Versus Productive Government: The Case of U.S. Agricultural Policies," Staff General Research Papers 724, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Lin, William W. & Coffman, George & Penn, J. B., 1980. "U.S. Farm Numbers, Sizes, and Related Structural Dimensions: Projections to Year 2000," Technical Bulletins 157730, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Putnam, Judith Jones & Allshouse, Jane E., 1999. "Food Consumption, Prices, and Expenditures, 1970-97," Statistical Bulletin 154924, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- David Aschauer, 1988.
"Is public expenditure productive?,"
88-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- El-Osta, Hisham S. & Ahearn, Mary Clare, 1996. "Estimating the Opportunity Cost of Unpaid Farm Labor for U.S. Farm Operators," Technical Bulletins 156784, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Kislev, Yoav & Peterson, Willis, 1982. "Prices, Technology, and Farm Size," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(3), pages 578-95, June.
- Alfons Weersink & Loren W. Tauer, 1991. "Causality between Dairy Farm Size and Productivity," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 73(4), pages 1138-1145.
- Munisamy Gopinath & Terry Roe, 1997.
"Sources of Sectoral Growth in an Economy Wide Context: The Case of U.S. Agriculture,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 293-310, August.
- Munisamy, Gopinath & Roe, Terry L., 1995. "Sources of Sectoral Growth in an Economy Wide Context: The Case of U.S. Agriculture," Bulletins 7454, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- Gardner, Bruce L, 1992. "Changing Economic Perspectives on the Farm Problem," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(1), pages 62-101, March.
- Mary Ahearn & Jim Johnson & Roger Strickland, 1985. "The Distribution of Income and Wealth of Farm Operator Households," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 67(5), pages 1087-1094.
- Antle, John M, 1983. "Infrastructure and Aggregate Agricultural Productivity: International Evidence," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 31(3), pages 609-19, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea02:19865. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.