Links Among Farm Productivity, Off-Farm Work, and Farm Size in the Southeast
This paper examines the linkages among agricultural total factor productivity, farm size, and farm household participation in the off-farm labor market for the Southeastern states for the period 1960-1996. We find evidence of a simultaneous relationship between productivity and measures of farm structure. The results support the expected relationships between the endogenous variables, namely that productivity and farm size are positively related, farm size and off-farm work participation are negatively related, and off-farm work and productivity are negatively related. We find positive and significant impacts of government policies (investments in public research, extension, and highways) on productivity growth.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2004|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 2004, vol. 29, pp. 481-502|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Iowa State University, Dept. of Economics, 260 Heady Hall, Ames, IA 50011-1070|
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ashok K. Mishra & Barry K. Goodwin, 1997. "Farm Income Variability and the Supply of Off-Farm Labor," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(3), pages 880-887.
- Ahearn, Mary Clare, 2003. "Trends in Extension Resources," Amber Waves, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, April.
- Acquaye, Albert K.A. & Jefferson, Kenrett Y., 2003. "Patterns Of Post-War Agricultural Productivity In The Southeast And Delta Regions," 2003 Annual Meeting, February 1-5, 2003, Mobile, Alabama 35099, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Ahearn, Mary Clare & Yee, Jet & Huffman, Wallace E., 2002. "The Impact Of Government Policies On Agricultural Productivity And Structure: Preliminary Results," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19865, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Morrison, Catherine J & Schwartz, Amy Ellen, 1996.
"State Infrastructure and Productive Performance,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1095-1111, December.
- Catherine J. Morrison & Amy Ellen Schwartz, 1992. "State Infrastructure and Productive Performance," NBER Working Papers 3981, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ahearn, Mary Clare & Yee, Jet & Bottum, John S., 2003. "Regional Trends In Extension System Resources," Agricultural Information Bulletins 33787, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Antle, John M, 1983. "Infrastructure and Aggregate Agricultural Productivity: International Evidence," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 31(3), pages 609-619, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)