Governance Reform of German food safety regulation: Cosmetic or real?
Discussion of institutional changes made by the German government in response to the emergence of the first cases of BSE in Germany in 2000. Due to the establishment of a large-scale private sector quality assurance scheme, regulation moved away from publicly mandated food safety regulations toward industry-led initiatives (so-called QS system). The paper discusses whether changes in regulation, administration, and liability standards have improved the effectiveness and the allocative efficiency of German food safety regulation.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Louviere,Jordan J. & Hensher,David A. & Swait,Joffre D., 2000. "Stated Choice Methods," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521788304.
- Nelson, Richard R. & Sampat, Bhaven N., 2001. "Making sense of institutions as a factor shaping economic performance," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 31-54, January.
- Fearne, Andrew & Hornibrook, Susan A. & Dedman, Sandra, 2001. "The Management Of Perceived Risk In The Food Supply Chain: A Comparative Study Of Retailer-Led Beef Quality Assurance Schemes In Germany And Italy," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 4(01).
- Sunding, David L. & Zilberman, David, 1998. "Allocating Product Liability in a Multimarket Setting," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-11, March.
- Shogren, Jason F. & Crocker, Thomas D., 1999. "Risk and Its Consequences," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 44-51, January.
- Viscusi, W Kip, 1989. " Prospective Reference Theory: Toward an Explanation of the Paradoxes," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 235-63, September.
- Libecap, Gary D, 1992.
"The Rise of the Chicago Packers and the Origins of Meat Inspection and Antitrust,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 30(2), pages 242-62, April.
- Gary D. Libecap, 1991. "The Rise of the Chicago Packers and the Origins of Meat Inspection and Antitrust," NBER Historical Working Papers 0029, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ehrlich, Isaac & Becker, Gary S, 1972. "Market Insurance, Self-Insurance, and Self-Protection," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 80(4), pages 623-48, July-Aug..
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson, 2005.
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(5), pages 949-995, October.
- Viscusi, W Kip, 1990. "Sources of Inconsistency in Societal Responses to Health Risks," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 257-61, May.
- Frenzen, Paul D. & Buzby, Jean C. & Rasco, Barbara, 2001. "Product Liability And Microbial Foodborne Illness," Agricultural Economics Reports 34059, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Torsten Persson & Gerard Roland & Guido Tabellini, .
"Separation of Powers and Political Accountability,"
100, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- repec:ner:ucllon:http://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/17678/ is not listed on IDEAS
- Caswell, Julie A., 1998. "Valuing the benefits and costs of improved food safety and nutrition," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 42(4), December.
- Philippe Aghion & Jean Tirole, 1994.
"Normal and Real Authority in Organizations,"
94-13, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Aghion, Philippe & Tirole, Jean, 1994. "Formal and Real Authority in Organizations," IDEI Working Papers 37, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Philippe Aghion & Jean Tirole, 1994. "Formal and Real Authority in Organizations," Working papers 95-8, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Aghion, Philippe & Tirole, Jean, 1997. "Formal and Real Authority in Organizations," Scholarly Articles 4554125, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Winand Emons, 1997.
"Credence Goods and Fraudelent Experts,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 28(1), pages 107-119, Spring.
- Henson, Spencer & Caswell, Julie, 1999. "Food safety regulation: an overview of contemporary issues," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 589-603, December.
- David R. Just & Steven A. Wolf & Steve Wu & David Zilberman, 2002. "Consumption of Economic Information in Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(1), pages 39-52.
- Nelson, Phillip, 1970. "Information and Consumer Behavior," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(2), pages 311-29, March-Apr.
- Fox, John A. & Hanawa Peterson, Hikaru, 2004. "Risks and implications of bovine spongiform encephalopathy for the United States: insights from other countries," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 45-60, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:26252. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.