On interactions of optimal climate policy and international trade. An assessment of border carbon measures
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Nordhaus, William D, 1991. "To Slow or Not to Slow: The Economics of the Greenhouse Effect," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(407), pages 920-937, July.
- Stern,Nicholas, 2007. "The Economics of Climate Change," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521700801, January.
- Manne, Alan & Mendelsohn, Robert & Richels, Richard, 1995. "MERGE : A model for evaluating regional and global effects of GHG reduction policies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 17-34, January.
- Bohringer, Christoph & Loschel, Andreas & Rutherford, Thomas F., 2007. "Decomposing the integrated assessment of climate change," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 683-702, February.
- Krutilla, Kerry, 1991. "Environmental regulation in an open economy," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 127-142, March.
- Schenker, Oliver, 2010. "Transporting goods and damages. The role of trade on the distribution of climate change costs," MPRA Paper 25350, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baumol, William J & Bradford, David F, 1972. "Detrimental Externalities and Non-Convexity of the Production Set," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 39(154), pages 160-176, May.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N. & Srinivasan, T. N., 1973.
"The general equilibrium theory of effective protection and resource allocation,"
Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 259-281, August.
- J. Bhagwati & T. N. Srinivasan, 1972. "The General Equilibrium Theory of Effective Protection and Resource Allocation," Working papers 91, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Markusen, James R., 1975. "International externalities and optimal tax structures," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 15-29, February.
- Löschel, Andreas & Alexeeva-Talebi, Victoria & Mennel, Tim, 2008. "Climate Policy and the Problem of Competitiveness: Border Tax Adjustments or Integrated Emission Trading?," ZEW Discussion Papers 08-061, ZEW - Leibniz Centre for European Economic Research.
- Mustafa H. Babiker & Thomas F. Rutherford, 2005. "The Economic Effects of Border Measures in Subglobal Climate Agreements," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 99-126.
- Barrett, Scott, 1997. "The strategy of trade sanctions in international environmental agreements," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 345-361, November.
- Roland Ismer & Karsten Neuhoff, 2007.
"Border tax adjustment: a feasible way to support stringent emission trading,"
European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 137-164, October.
- R. Ismer & K. Neuhoff, 2004. "Border Tax Adjustments: A Feasible way to Support Stringent Emission Trading," Working Papers EP36, Energy Policy Research Group, Cambridge Judge Business School, University of Cambridge.
- Kennedy Peter W., 1994. "Equilibrium Pollution Taxes in Open Economies with Imperfect Competition," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 49-63, July.
- Lessmann, Kai & Marschinski, Robert & Edenhofer, Ottmar, 2009. "The effects of tariffs on coalition formation in a dynamic global warming game," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 641-649, May.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Thomas Kuhn & Radomir Pestow & Anja Zenker, 2018. "Endogenous Climate Coalitions and Free Trade - Building the Missing Link," Chemnitz Economic Papers 018, Department of Economics, Chemnitz University of Technology.
- Leslie Shiell, 2014. "Who Cares About Carbon Leakage? The Economics Of Border Tax Adjustments Under Incomplete Climate Treaties," Working Papers 1403E, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Hemous, David, 2013. "Environmental Policy and Directed Technical Change in a Global Economy: The Dynamic Impact of Unilateral Environmental Policies," CEPR Discussion Papers 9733, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alessandro Antimiani & Valeria Costantini & Chiara Martini & Luca Salvatici, 2011. "Cooperative and non-cooperative solutions to carbon leakage," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0136, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Thomas Kuhn & Radomir Pestow & Anja Zenker, 2019. "Building Climate Coalitions on Preferential Free Trade Agreements," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 74(2), pages 539-569, October.
- Thomas Kuhn & Radomir Pestow & Anja Zenker, 2017. "Building Climate Coalitions on Preferential Free Trade Agreements," Chemnitz Economic Papers 011, Department of Economics, Chemnitz University of Technology, revised Jul 2017.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Zhang, Zhong Xiang, 2012.
"Competitiveness and Leakage Concerns and Border Carbon Adjustments,"
International Review of Environmental and Resource Economics, now publishers, vol. 6(3), pages 225-287, December.
- Zhang, ZhongXiang, 2012. "Competitiveness and Leakage Concerns and Border Carbon Adjustments," Climate Change and Sustainable Development 139672, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei (FEEM).
- ZhongXiang Zhang, 2012. "Competitiveness and Leakage Concerns and Border Carbon Adjustments," CCEP Working Papers 1208, Centre for Climate & Energy Policy, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Zhang, ZhongXiang, 2012. "Competitiveness and Leakage Concerns and Border Carbon Adjustments," Working Papers 249399, Australian National University, Centre for Climate Economics & Policy.
- ZhongXiang Zhang, 2012. "Competitiveness and Leakage Concerns and Border Carbon Adjustments," Working Papers 2012.80, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Sakai, Marco & Barrett, John, 2016. "Border carbon adjustments: Addressing emissions embodied in trade," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 92(C), pages 102-110.
- Jayadevappa, Ravishankar & Chhatre, Sumedha, 2000. "International trade and environmental quality: a survey," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 175-194, February.
- Haixiao Huang, Walter C. Labys, 2002. "Environment and trade: a review of issues and methods," International Journal of Global Environmental Issues, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 2(1/2), pages 100-160.
- Xiao Chen & Alan Woodland, 2013. "International trade and climate change," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 20(3), pages 381-413, June.
- Sturm, Daniel & Ulph, Alistair, 2002. "Environment, trade, political economy and imperfect information: a survey," Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics 0204, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Soham Baksi, 2014.
"Regional versus Multilateral Trade Liberalization, Environmental Taxation, and Welfare,"
Canadian Journal of Economics/Revue canadienne d'économique, John Wiley & Sons, vol. 47(1), pages 232-249, February.
- Soham Baksi, 2014. "Regional versus Multilateral Trade Liberalization, Environmental Taxation, and Welfare," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 47(1), pages 232-249, February.
- Soham Baksi, 2011. "Regional versus Multilateral Trade Liberalization, Environmental Taxation and Welfare," Departmental Working Papers 2011-03, The University of Winnipeg, Department of Economics.
- Lisa Anouliès, 2015. "The Strategic and Effective Dimensions of the Border Tax Adjustment," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 17(6), pages 824-847, December.
- Christoph Böhringer & Thomas F. Rutherford, 2017.
"Paris after Trump: An Inconvenient Insight,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
- Christoph Böhringer & Thomas F. Rutherford, 2017. "Paris after Trump: An Inconvenient Insight," ZenTra Working Papers in Transnational Studies 72 / 2017, ZenTra - Center for Transnational Studies.
- Christoph Boehringer & Thomas Fox Rutherford, 2017. "Paris after Trump: An inconvenient insight," Working Papers V-400-17, University of Oldenburg, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2017.
- Wei, Yi-Ming & Mi, Zhi-Fu & Huang, Zhimin, 2015.
"Climate policy modeling: An online SCI-E and SSCI based literature review,"
Omega, Elsevier, vol. 57(PA), pages 70-84.
- Yi-Ming Wei & Zhi-Fu Mi & Zhiming Huang, 2014. "Climate policy modeling: An online SCI-E and SSCI based literature review," CEEP-BIT Working Papers 58, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research (CEEP), Beijing Institute of Technology.
- Böhringer, Christoph & Garcia-Muros, Xaquin & Cazcarro, Ignacio & Arto, Iñaki, 2017.
"The efficiency cost of protective measures in climate policy,"
Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 104(C), pages 446-454.
- Christoph Böhringer & Xaquin Garcia-Muros & Ignacio Cazcarro & Iñaki Arto, 2016. "The Efficiency Cost of Protective Measures in Climate Policy," Working Papers V-392-16, University of Oldenburg, Department of Economics, revised Aug 2016.
- Christoph Böhringer & Xaquín Garcia-Muros & Ignacio Cazcarro & Iñaki Arto, 2016. "The Efficiency Cost of Protective Measures in Climate Policy," ZenTra Working Papers in Transnational Studies 67 / 2016, ZenTra - Center for Transnational Studies, revised Oct 2016.
- Niven Winchester, 2018. "Can tariffs be used to enforce Paris climate commitments?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(10), pages 2650-2668, October.
- Glebe, Thilo W. & Latacz-Lohmann, Uwe, 2004. "Agricultural Trade Liberalization And Strategic Environmental Policy: A Formal Analysis," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20277, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Weitzel, Matthias & Hübler, Michael & Peterson, Sonja, 2012.
"Fair, optimal or detrimental? Environmental vs. strategic use of border carbon adjustment,"
Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(S2), pages 198-207.
- Weitzel, Matthias & Hübler, Michael & Peterson, Sonja, 2012. "Fair, optimal or detrimental? Environmental vs. strategic use of border carbon adjustment," Kiel Working Papers 1792, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Alexandra E. Cirone & Johannes Urpelainen, 2013. "Trade sanctions in international environmental policy: Deterring or encouraging free riding?," Conflict Management and Peace Science, Peace Science Society (International), vol. 30(4), pages 309-334, September.
- Burguet, Roberto & Sempere, Jaume, 2003. "Trade liberalization, environmental policy, and welfare," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 25-37, July.
- Hübler, Michael, 2012. "Carbon tariffs on Chinese exports: Emissions reduction, threat, or farce?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 315-327.
- Ghosh, Madanmohan & Luo, Deming & Siddiqui, Muhammad Shahid & Zhu, Yunfa, 2012. "Border tax adjustments in the climate policy context: CO2 versus broad-based GHG emission targeting," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(S2), pages 154-167.
- Fouré, Jean & Guimbard, Houssein & Monjon, Stéphanie, 2016. "Border carbon adjustment and trade retaliation: What would be the cost for the European Union?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 349-362.
- Michael Jakob & Robert Marschinski & Michael Hübler, 2013. "Between a Rock and a Hard Place: A Trade-Theory Analysis of Leakage Under Production- and Consumption-Based Policies," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 56(1), pages 47-72, September.
More about this item
KeywordsInternational Trade; Environmental Policy; Border Tax Adjustment;
All these keywords.
- F18 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade and Environment
- D58 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Computable and Other Applied General Equilibrium Models
- Q54 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Climate; Natural Disasters and their Management; Global Warming
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ENE-2010-10-23 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2010-10-23 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-INT-2010-10-23 (International Trade)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:25820. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.