A Snapshot of Geothermal Energy Potential and Utilization in Turkey
Turkey is one of the countries with significant potential in geothermal energy. It is estimated that if Turkey utilizes all of her geothermal potential, she can meet 14% of her total energy need (heat and electricity) from geothermal sources. Therefore, today geothermal energy is an attractive option in Turkey to replace fossil fuels. Besides, increase in negative effects of fossil fuels on the environment has forced many countries, including Turkey, to use renewable energy sources. Also, Turkey is an energy importing country; more than two-thirds of her energy requirement is supplied by imports. In this context, geothermal energy appears to be one of the most efficient and effective solutions for sustainable energy development and environmental pollution prevention in Turkey. Since geothermal energy will be used more and more in the future, its current potential, usage, and assessment in Turkey is the focus of the present study. The paper not only presents a review of the potential and utilization of the geothermal energy in Turkey but also provides some guidelines for policy makers.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Publication status:||Published in Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 9.13(2009): pp. 2535-2543|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Güler, Önder, 2009. "Wind energy status in electrical energy production of Turkey," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 473-478, February.
- Kaygusuz, Kamil & Kaygusuz, Abdullah, 2004. "Geothermal energy in Turkey: the sustainable future," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 8(6), pages 545-563, December.
- Bilgen, Selçuk & Keles, Sedat & Kaygusuz, Abdullah & SarI, Ahmet & Kaygusuz, Kamil, 2008. "Global warming and renewable energy sources for sustainable development: A case study in Turkey," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 372-396, February.
- Hepbasli, Arif & Ozgener, Leyla, 2004. "Development of geothermal energy utilization in Turkey: a review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 8(5), pages 433-460, October.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2007.
"Regulatory Reform in Turkish Energy Industry: An analysis,"
19100, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2007. "Regulatory reform in Turkish energy industry: An analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 984-993, February.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2005. "Energy market reforms in Turkey: An economic analysis," MPRA Paper 26929, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Demirbas, Ayhan, 2008. "Importance of biomass energy sources for Turkey," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 834-842, February.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2007.
"Nuclear power in open energy markets: A case study of Turkey,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 3061-3073, May.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2007. "Nuclear Power in Open Energy Markets: A case study of Turkey," MPRA Paper 19098, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- World Commission on Environment and Development,, 1987. "Our Common Future," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780192820808, December.
- Kone, Aylin Cigdem & Buke, Tayfun, 2007. "An Analytical Network Process (ANP) evaluation of alternative fuels for electricity generation in Turkey," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 5220-5228, October.
- Erdogdu, Erkan, 2002. "Turkey and Europe: Undivided but not united," MPRA Paper 26928, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Celiktas, Melih Soner & Sevgili, Tarkan & Kocar, Gunnur, 2009. "A snapshot of renewable energy research in Turkey," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1479-1486.
- Evrendilek, F & Ertekin, C, 2003. "Assessing the potential of renewable energy sources in Turkey," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 28(15), pages 2303-2315.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:19092. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.