Blind Admission? The ability of NSC maths to signal competence in university commerce courses as compared to the former SC Higher Grade maths
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Arkes, Jeremy, 1999. "What Do Educational Credentials Signal and Why Do Employers Value Credentials?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 133-141, February.
- Leonard Smith & Lawrence Edwards, 2007. "A Multivariate Evaluation Of Mainstream And Academic Development Courses In First-Year Microeconomics," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 75(1), pages 99-117, March.
- Bishop, John H. & Mane, Ferran, 2001. "The impacts of minimum competency exam graduation requirements on high school graduation, college attendance and early labor market success," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 203-222, May.
- Yona Rubinstein & James J. Heckman, 2001. "The Importance of Noncognitive Skills: Lessons from the GED Testing Program," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 145-149, May.
More about this item
KeywordsMathematics; National Senior Certificate; Economics 1; first year; Commerce courses; South Africa;
- A22 - General Economics and Teaching - - Economic Education and Teaching of Economics - - - Undergraduate
- A20 - General Economics and Teaching - - Economic Education and Teaching of Economics - - - General
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2009-10-31 (Africa)
- NEP-ALL-2009-10-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-EDU-2009-10-31 (Education)
- NEP-LAB-2009-10-31 (Labour Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:18075. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/vfmunde.html .