Exchange Market Pressure in Central Europe: An Application of the Girton-Roper Model
This paper applies the Girton-Roper model of exchange market pressure (EMP) on four Central European economies (Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Slovakia) over the period 1995-2008. The results suggest that there is a strong negative relation between domestic credit and EMP in all countries. We also found evidence of positive effect of domestic income on EMP in most of the countries. The paper reveals that EMP in the Czech Republic and Hungary was mostly absorbed by changes of exchange rate while changes in reserves absorbed EMP in Slovakia. The levels of EMP estimated do not pose a significant threat for fulfilment of the exchange rate stability convergence criterion.
|Date of creation:||15 Jun 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Idrees Khawaja, 1970.
"Exchange Market Pressure and Monetary Policy : Evidence from Pakistan,"
Macroeconomics Working Papers
22208, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- M. Idrees Khawaja, 2007. "Exchange Market Pressure and Monetary Policy: Evidence from Pakistan," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 12(2), pages 83-114, Jul-Dec.
- M. Idrees Khawaja, 2007. "Exchange Market Pressure and Monetary Policy: Evidence from Pakistan," PIDE-Working Papers 2007:31, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- PENTECOST, Eric J. & VAN HOOYDONK, Charlotte & VAN POECK, André, 1997.
"Measuring and estimating exchange market pressure in the EU,"
SESO Working Papers
1997009, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Pentecost, Eric J. & Van Hooydonk, Charlotte & Van Poeck, Andre, 2001. "Measuring and estimating exchange market pressure in the EU," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 401-418, June.
- Barry Eichengreen & Andrew K. Rose & Charles Wyplosz, 1995.
"Speculative attacks on pegged exchange rates: an empirical exploration with special reference to the European Monetary System,"
Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory
95-04, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Barry Eichengreen & Andrew K. Rose & Charles Wyplosz, 1994. "Speculative Attacks on Pegged Exchange Rates: An Empirical Exploration with Special Reference to the European Monetary System," NBER Working Papers 4898, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen, Andrew K. Rose, and Charles Wyplosz., 1995. "Speculative Attacks on Pegged Exchange Rates: An Empirical Exploration with Special Reference to the European Monetary System," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C95-046, University of California at Berkeley.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Rose, Andrew K & Wyplosz, Charles, 1994. "Speculative Attacks on Pegged Exchange Rates: An Empirical Exploration with Special Reference to the European Monetary System," CEPR Discussion Papers 1060, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Connolly, Michael & Dantas da Silveira, Jose, 1979. "Exchange Market Pressure in Postwar Brazil: An Application of the Girton-Roper Monetary Model," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(3), pages 448-54, June.
- Rajmund Mirdala, 2009. "Interest Rate Transmission Mechanism of Monetary Policy in the Selected EMU Candidate Countries," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 56(3), pages 359-377, September.
- Victor Pontines & Reza Siregar, 2006. "Identifying And Dating The Episodes Of Speculative Pressures Against The Singapore Dollar," The Singapore Economic Review (SER), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 51(02), pages 113-133.
- Stavarek, Daniel, 2008.
"Exchange Market Pressure in Central European Countries from the Eurozone Membership Perspective,"
12079, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stavarek Daniel, 2008. "Exchange Market Pressure in Central European Countries from the Eurozone Membership Perspective," South East European Journal of Economics and Business, De Gruyter Open, vol. 3(2), pages 7-18, November.
- Weymark, Diana N., 1995. "Estimating exchange market pressure and the degree of exchange market intervention for Canada," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 273-295, November.
- Bahmani-Oskooee, Mohsen & Shiva, Reza, 1998. "A method of detecting whether a central bank engages in the black market for foreign exchange: Evidence from Iran," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 97-103, July.
- Mirdala, Rajmund, 2009. "Interest rate transmission mechanism of the monetary policy in the selected EMU candidate countries (SVAR approach)," MPRA Paper 14072, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Girton, Lance & Roper, Don, 1977. "A Monetary Model of Exchange Market Pressure Applied to the Postwar Canadian Experience," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(4), pages 537-48, September.
- repec:lje:journl:v:2:y:2007:i:2:p:83-114 is not listed on IDEAS
- Priya Mathur, 1999. "An Exchange Market Pressure Model for India," Indian Economic Review, Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics, vol. 34(2), pages 127-148, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:15744. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.