Fluctuation in the International Currency Reserves of Less Developed Countries: HIPC vs Non-HIPC
This paper uses the principles of the monetary approach model of balance of payments and exchange market pressure to analyze the fluctuations in the international reserves of LDCs. The motivation for this analysis derives from the recent emphasis of the debt reduction policies that target the HIPCs. These policies stress the importance of non-monetary, and to some extent non-economic factors such as institutional improvements, good governance, infrastructural development and poverty reduction strategies. The argument is that once such reforms are implemented effectively, the economic forces will work in the right direction enabling the HIPCs to sustain a healthy balance of payments. We use panel data analysis to examine whether there is a significant difference between international reserves fluctuations in the HIPCs and in the rest of the LDCs. Evidence from data over the period 1983–2003 for 47 LDCs - of which 20 qualify as HIPCs by the IMF-World Bank criteria - suggests that there are significant differences in the way the reserve flows respond to their main determinants in the two sets of countries. This begs the question of whether the above mentioned policies can alleviate the causes of such differences.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (01382) 344375
Fax: (01382) 344691
Web page: http://www.dundee.ac.uk/econman/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gochoco-Bautista, Maria Socorro & Bautista, Carlos C., 2005. "Monetary policy and exchange market pressure: The case of the Philippines," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 153-168, March.
- Evan Tanner, 1999.
"Exchange Market Pressure and Monetary Policy; Asia and Latin America in the 1990's,"
IMF Working Papers
99/114, International Monetary Fund.
- Evan Tanner, 2001. "Exchange Market Pressure and Monetary Policy: Asia and Latin America in the 1990s," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 47(3), pages 2.
- Hallwood, C. Paul & Marsh, Ian W., 2004.
"Exchange market pressure on the pound-dollar exchange rate: 1925-1931,"
The North American Journal of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 249-264, August.
- C. Paul Hallwood & Ian W. Marsh, 2003. "Exchange Market Pressure on the Pound-Dollar Exchange Rate: 1925-1931," Working papers 2003-23, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Connolly, Michael & Dantas da Silveira, Jose, 1979. "Exchange Market Pressure in Postwar Brazil: An Application of the Girton-Roper Monetary Model," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(3), pages 448-54, June.
- Pentecost, Eric J. & Van Hooydonk, Charlotte & Van Poeck, Andre, 2001.
"Measuring and estimating exchange market pressure in the EU,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 401-418, June.
- PENTECOST, Eric J. & VAN HOOYDONK, Charlotte & VAN POECK, André, 1997. "Measuring and estimating exchange market pressure in the EU," SESO Working Papers 1997009, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Magee, Stephen P, 1976. "The Empirical Evidence on the Monetary Approach to the Balance of Payments and Exchange Rates," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(2), pages 163-70, May.
- Godwin Chukwudum Nwaobi, 2003. "The Balance Of Payments As A Monetary Phenomenon:An Econometric Case Study Of Nigeria," International Finance 0307001, EconWPA.
- Baig, Mirza Allim & Narasimhan, V. & Ramachandran, M., 2003. "Exchange market pressure and the Reserve Bank of India's intervention activity," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 25(8), pages 727-748, November.
- Wilford, D Sykes & Zecher, J Richard, 1979. "Monetary Policy and the Balance of Payments in Mexico, 1955-75," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 11(3), pages 340-48, August.
- Weymark, Diana N., 1995. "Estimating exchange market pressure and the degree of exchange market intervention for Canada," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 273-295, November.
- Spanos, Aris & Taylor, Mark P, 1984. "The Monetary Approach to the Balance of Payments: A Critical Appraisal of Some Empirical Evidence," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 46(4), pages 329-40, November.
- Girton, Lance & Roper, Don, 1977. "A Monetary Model of Exchange Market Pressure Applied to the Postwar Canadian Experience," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(4), pages 537-48, September.
- Connolly, Michael & Taylor, Dean, 1976. "Testing the Monetary Approach to Devaluation in Developing Countries," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(4), pages 849-59, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dun:dpaper:203. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Andrzej Kwiatkowski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.