The Balance Of Payments As A Monetary Phenomenon:An Econometric Case Study Of Nigeria
THE THRUST OF THIS PAPER HAS BEEN TO INVESTIGATE THE THEORETICAL PROPOSITION OF THE MONETARY APPROACH TO THE THEORY OF BALANCE OF PAYMENTS ADJUSTMENT MECHANISM. THE ESSENCE OF THE APPROACH IS A CONSISTENT INSISTENCE THAT BALANCE OF PAYMENTS IS A MONETARY AND NOT A REAL PHENOMENON AS POSITED BY THE CONVENTIONAL THEORIES. FROM THE VARIOUS TESTS CONCLUDED AND HYPOTHESIS EVALUATED,THE STUDY SUGGESTS THAT THE MANIPULATION OF DOMESTIC CREDIT BY THE MONETARY AUTHORITIES WILL NOT ENHANCE THE BALANCE OF PAYMENT VIABILITY OVER TIME; RATHER THAT INCREASES IN THE LEVEL OF OUTPUT MIGHT IMPROVE THE BALANCE ON CURRENT ACCOUNT.
|Date of creation:||09 Jul 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - MICROSOFT WORD ; prepared on IBM PC ; to print on HP/; pages: 35; figures: included/request from author/draw your own. We never published this piece and now we would like to reduce our mailing and xerox cost by posting it.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://econwpa.repec.org|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jonson, P D & Kierzkowski, H I, 1975. "The Balance of Payments: An Analytic Exercise," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 43(2), pages 105-33, June.
- Connolly, Michael & Taylor, Dean, 1976. "Testing the Monetary Approach to Devaluation in Developing Countries," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(4), pages 849-59, August.
- Putnam, Bluford H & Van Belle, John J, 1978. "A Monetary Approach to Afghanistan's Flexible Exchange Rate: A Comment," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 10(1), pages 117-18, February.
- Fry, Maxwell J, 1976. "A Monetary Approach to Afghanistan's Flexible Exchange Rate," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 8(2), pages 219-25, May.
- Hang-Sheng Cheng & Nicholas P. Sargen, 1975. "Central bank policy towards inflation," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Spr, pages 31-40.
- Girton, Lance & Roper, Don, 1977. "A Monetary Model of Exchange Market Pressure Applied to the Postwar Canadian Experience," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(4), pages 537-48, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpif:0307001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.