Is Stochastic Volatility relevant for Dynamic Portfolio Choice under Ambiguity?
Literature on dynamic portfolio choice has been finding that volatility risk has low impact on portfolio choice. For example, using long-run U.S. data, Chacko and Viceira (2005) found that intertemporal hedging demand (required by investors for protection against adverse changes in volatility) is empirically small even for highly risk-averse investors. We want to assess if this continues to be true in the presence of ambiguity. Adopting robust control and perturbation theory techniques, we study the problem of a long-horizon investor with recursive preferences that faces ambiguity about the stochastic processes that generate the investment opportunity set. We find that ambiguity impacts portfolio choice, with the relevant channel being the return process. Ambiguity about the volatility process is only relevant if, through a specific correlation structure, it also induces ambiguity about the return process. Using the same long-run U.S. data, we find that ambiguity about the return process may be empirically relevant, much more than ambiguity about the volatility process. Anyway, intertemporal hedging demand is still very low: investors are essentially focused in the short-term risk-return characteristics of the risky asset.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rua Dr. Roberto Frias, 4200 PORTO|
Web page: http://www.fep.up.pt/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gollier, Christian, 2009.
"Portfolio Choices and Asset Prices: The Comparative Statics of Ambiguity Aversion,"
IDEI Working Papers
357, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised 2011.
- Christian Gollier, 2011. "Portfolio Choices and Asset Prices: The Comparative Statics of Ambiguity Aversion," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 78(4), pages 1329-1344.
- Gollier, Christian, 2009. "Portfolio Choices and Asset Prices: The Comparative Statics of Ambiguity Aversion," TSE Working Papers 09-068, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- David Ahn & Syngjoo Choi & Douglas Gale & Shachar Kariv, 2008.
"Estimating Ambiguity Aversion in a Portfolio Choice Experiment,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
122247000000001989, David K. Levine.
- David Ahn & Syngjoo Choi & Douglas Gale & Shachar Kariv, 2014. "Estimating ambiguity aversion in a portfolio choice experiment," Quantitative Economics, Econometric Society, vol. 5, pages 195-223, 07.
- Hui Chen & Nengjiu Ju & Jianjun Miao, 2014.
"Dynamic Asset Allocation with Ambiguous Return Predictability,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 17(4), pages 799-823, October.
- Hui Chen & Nengjiu Ju & Jianjun Miao, . "Dynamic Asset Allocation with Ambiguous Return Predictability," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series wp2009-015, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Hui Chen & Nengjiu Ju & Jianjun Miao, 2013. "Code and data files for "Dynamic Asset Allocation with Ambiguous Return Predictability"," Computer Codes 12-77, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Hui Chen & Nengjiu Ju & Jianjun Miao, 2008. "Dynamic Asset Allocation with Ambiguous Return Predictability," Boston University - Department of Economics - The Institute for Economic Development Working Papers Series dp-179, Boston University - Department of Economics, revised Feb 2009.
- Fabio Trojani & Paolo Vanini, 2004.
"Robustness and Ambiguity Aversion in General Equilibrium,"
Review of Finance,
European Finance Association, vol. 8(2), pages 279-324.
- Fabio Trojani & Paolo Vanini, 2004. "Robustness and Ambiguity Aversion in General Equilibrium," Review of Finance, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 279-324.
- Trojani, Fabio & Vanini, Paolo, 2002. "A note on robustness in Merton's model of intertemporal consumption and portfolio choice," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 423-435, March.
- Gonçalo Faria & João Correia-da-Silva & Cláudia Ribeiro, 2009. "Dynamic Consumption and Portfolio Choice with Ambiguity about Stochastic Volatility," FEP Working Papers 348, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Gonçalo Faria & João Correia-da-Silva, 2011.
"The Price of Risk and Ambiguity in an Intertemporal General Equilibrium Model of Asset Prices,"
FEP Working Papers
399, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Gonçalo Faria & João Correia-da-Silva, 2012. "The price of risk and ambiguity in an intertemporal general equilibrium model of asset prices," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 8(4), pages 507-531, November.
- Campbell, John Y. & Viceira, Luis M., 2002. "Strategic Asset Allocation: Portfolio Choice for Long-Term Investors," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198296942, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:por:fepwps:472. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.