A Robust General Equilibrium Stochastic Volatility Model with Recursive Preference Investors
This paper investigates the implications of model uncertainty for the equity premium in a stochastic volatility model. We consider a general equilibrium setting with one representative agent who has a stochastic differential utility. The results show that the equilibrium equity premium consists of a market risk premium, a stochastic volatility risk premium and an uncertainty aversion premium. Further, the robustness can increase the equilibrium equity premium and drive down the equilibrium risk-free rate.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jianjun Miao, 2004. "A Note on Consumption and Savings under Knightian Uncertainty," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 5(2), pages 299-311, November.
- Pascal J. Maenhout, 2004. "Robust Portfolio Rules and Asset Pricing," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(4), pages 951-983.
- R. C. Merton, 1970.
"Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model,"
58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Merton, Robert C., 1971. "Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- Xu, Weidong & Wu, Chongfeng & Li, Hongyi, 2010. "Robust general equilibrium under stochastic volatility model," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 224-231, December.
- Epstein, Larry G & Wang, Tan, 1994. "Intertemporal Asset Pricing Under Knightian Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(2), pages 283-322, March.
- Campbell, John Y. & Chacko, George & Rodriguez, Jorge & Viceira, Luis M., 2004.
"Strategic asset allocation in a continuous-time VAR model,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 28(11), pages 2195-2214, October.
- Viceira, Luis & Rodriguez, Jorge & Chacko, George & Campbell, John, 2004. "Strategic Asset Allocation in a Continuous-Time VAR Model," Scholarly Articles 3294738, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell & George Chacko & Jorge Rodriguez & Luis M. Viciera, 2003. "Strategic Asset Allocation in a Continuous-Time VAR Model," NBER Working Papers 9547, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, John Y & Chacko, George & Rodriguez, Jorge & Viceira, Luis M, 2003. "Strategic Asset Allocation in a Continuous Time VAR Model," CEPR Discussion Papers 4160, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Zengjing Chen & Larry Epstein, 2002.
"Ambiguity, Risk, and Asset Returns in Continuous Time,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1403-1443, July.
- Zengjing Chen & Larry G. Epstein, 2000. "Ambiguity, risk and asset returns in continuous time," RCER Working Papers 474, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Hening Liu, 2010. "Robust consumption and portfolio choice for time varying investment opportunities," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 435-454, October.
- Epstein, Larry G & Zin, Stanley E, 1989. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, and the Temporal Behavior of Consumption and Asset Returns: A Theoretical Framework," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(4), pages 937-969, July.
- Breeden, Douglas T., 1979. "An intertemporal asset pricing model with stochastic consumption and investment opportunities," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 265-296, September.
- Jianjun Miao, "undated".
"Ambiguity, Risk and Portfolio Choice under Incomplete Information,"
Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
wp2009-019, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Jianjun Miao, 2009. "Ambiguity, Risk and Portfolio Choice under Incomplete Information," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 10(2), pages 257-279, November.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-1445, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cuf:journl:y:2011:v:12:i:2:p:217-231. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Qiang Gao)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.