Population and Poverty: A Review of the Links, Evidence and Implications for the Philippines
This paper reviews the literature and evidence on the population and poverty nexus. The paper situates the role of demographic changes in development, in general, and poverty alleviation, in particular. It then presents the policy implications of the findings for the Philippines. It emphasizes that better fertility management is a critical component in any poverty alleviation package.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.pids.gov.ph/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lipton, Michael & Ravallion, Martin, 1993.
"Poverty and policy,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1130, The World Bank.
- David E. Bloom & David Canning & Jaypee Sevilla, 2001. "Economic Growth and the Demographic Transition," NBER Working Papers 8685, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bloom, David E & Williamson, Jeffrey G, 1998.
"Demographic Transitions and Economic Miracles in Emerging Asia,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 12(3), pages 419-55, September.
- David E. Bloom & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 1997. "Demographic Transitions and Economic Miracles in Emerging Asia," NBER Working Papers 6268, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bloom, David E. & Freeman, Richard B., 1988.
"Economic development and the timing and components of population growth,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 57-81, April.
- David E. Bloom & Richard B. Freeman, 1987. "Economic Development and the Timing and Components of Population Growth," NBER Working Papers 2448, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Orbeta, Aniceto Jr. C. & Pernia, Ernesto M., 1999. "Population Growth and Economic Development in the Philippines: What Has Been the Experience and What Must Be Done?," Discussion Papers DP 1999-22, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Allen Kelley & Robert Schmidt, 1995. "Aggregate population and economic growth correlations: The role of the components of demographic change," Demography, Springer, vol. 32(4), pages 543-555, November.
- Glewwe, Paul & Hall, Gillette, 1998. "Are some groups more vulnerable to macroeconomic shocks than others? Hypothesis tests based on panel data from Peru," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 181-206, June.
- Kelley, Allen C. & Schmidt, Robert M., 1995. "Aggregate Population and Economic Growth Correlations: The Role of the Components of Demographic Change," Working Papers 95-37, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Reyes, Celia M., 2002. "The Poverty Fight: Have We Made an Impact?," Discussion Papers DP 2002-20, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Orbeta, Aniceto Jr. C., 2002. "A Review of Research on Population-Related Issues: 1980-2002," Discussion Papers DP 2002-17, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:phd:dpaper:dp_2002-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.