Population Growth and Economic Development in the Philippines: What Has Been the Experience and What Must Be Done?
The paper reviews the continuing debate on the interrelationships between population growth and economic development with particular attention to its relevance to Philippine socioeconomic development. The aim is to put the development history of the country in perspective so that a stronger resolve to address the population problem is established. The paper also discusses the prospects for the economy given the high population growth rate and the options for the Philippine population program.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.pids.gov.ph/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aniceto C. Orbeta Jr., 1992. "Population Growth, Human Capital Expenditures and Economic Growth: A Macroeconometric Analysis," Philippine Review of Economics, University of the Philippines School of Economics and Philippine Economic Society, vol. 29(2), pages 179-230, December.
- Orbeta, Aniceto Jr. C. & Belizario, Mildred & Lavina, Edith, 1999. "Population and Development Planning (PDP) Model: The 1998 Update," Discussion Papers DP 1999-28, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- David E. Bloom & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 1997.
"Demographic Transitions and Economic Miracles in Emerging Asia,"
NBER Working Papers
6268, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bloom, David E & Williamson, Jeffrey G, 1998. "Demographic Transitions and Economic Miracles in Emerging Asia," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 12(3), pages 419-55, September.
- Bouis, Howarth E. & Haddad, Lawrence James, 1990. "Effects of agricultural commercialization on land tenure, household resource allocation, and nutrition in the Philippines:," Research reports 79, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- del Valle, Edwin & Reyes, Celia M., 1998. "Poverty Alleviation and Equity Promotion," Discussion Papers DP 1998-06, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Garcia, Marito & Pinstrup-Andersen, Per, 1987. "The pilot food price subsidy scheme in the Philippines: its impact on income, food consumption, and nutritional status," Research reports 61, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Basilio, Leilanie Q. & Intal, Ponciano Jr. S., 1998. "The International Economic Environment and the Philippine Economy," Discussion Papers DP 1998-25, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Padilla, Jose E., 1996. "Water Quality and Fisheries Issues Accompanying Population Growth in the Philippines," Philippine Journal of Development JPD 1996 Vol. XXIII No. 2, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- David E. Bloom & Richard B. Freeman, 1987.
"Economic Development and the Timing and Components of Population Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
2448, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bloom, David E. & Freeman, Richard B., 1988. "Economic development and the timing and components of population growth," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 57-81, April.
- Amacher, Gregory S. & Hyde, William F., 1996. "Migration and the Environment: The Case of Philippine Uplands," Philippine Journal of Development JPD 1996 Vol. XXIII No. 2, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Horton, Susan, 1986. "Child nutrition and family size in the Philippines," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 161-176, September.
- Kelley, Allen C, 1988. "Economic Consequences of Population Change in the Third World," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(4), pages 1685-1728, December.
- Sanchez-Robielos, Maria Teresa & Jurado, Gonzalo, 1998. "Philippine Employment and Industrial Relations Policies: An Assessment," Discussion Papers DP 1998-10, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:phd:dpaper:dp_1999-22. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Aniceto Orbeta)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.