Graphical network models for international financial flows
The late-2000s financial crisis has stressed the need of understanding the world financial system as a network of countries, where cross-border financial linkages play a fundamental role in the spread of systemic risks. Financial network models, that take into account the complex interrelationships between countries, seem to be an appropriate tool in this context. In this paper we propose to enrich the topological perspective of network models with a more structured statistical framework, that of graphical Gaussian models, which can be employed to accurately estimate the adjacency matrix, the main input for the estimation of the interconnections between different countries. We consider different types of graphical models: besides classical ones, we introduce Bayesian graphical models, that can take model uncertainty into account, and dynamic Bayesian graphical models, that provide a convenient framework to model temporal cross-border data, decomposing the model into autoregressive and contemporaneous networks. The paper shows how the application of the proposed models to the Bank of International Settlements locational banking statistics allows the identification of four distinct groups of countries, that can be considered central in systemic risk contagion.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via S. Felice, 5 - 27100 Pavia|
Web page: http://epmq.unipv.eu/site/home.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huizinga, Harry & Nicodeme, Gaetan, 2004.
"Are international deposits tax-driven,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(6), pages 1093-1118, June.
- H. Huizinga & Gaëtan Nicodème, 2001. "Are international deposits tax-driven?," European Economy - Economic Papers 2008 - 2015 152, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Huizinga, H.P. & Nicodeme, G., 2004. "Are international deposits tax-driven?," Other publications TiSEM 661fe169-5543-452b-b6c9-e, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Soramäki, Kimmo & Bech, Morten L. & Arnold, Jeffrey & Glass, Robert J. & Beyeler, Walter E., 2007. "The topology of interbank payment flows," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 379(1), pages 317-333.
- Matteo Barigozzi & Christian T. Brownlees, 2013. "Nets: Network estimation for time series," Economics Working Papers 1391, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Co-Pierre Georg & Jenny Poschmann, 2010. "Systemic risk in a network model of interbank markets with central bank activity," Jena Economic Research Papers 2010-033, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- Daniel Felix Ahelegbey & Monica Billio & Roberto Casarin, 2016.
"Bayesian Graphical Models for STructural Vector Autoregressive Processes,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 31(2), pages 357-386, March.
- Daniel Felix Ahelegbey & Monica Billio & Roberto Casarin, 2012. "Bayesian Graphical Models for Structural Vector Autoregressive Processes," Working Papers 2012:36, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Daniel Felix Ahelegbey & Paolo Giudici, 2014. "Hierarchical Graphical Models, With Application To Systemic Risk," DEM Working Papers Series 063, University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Management.
- Nier, Erlend & Yang, Jing & Yorulmazer, Tanju & Alentorn, Amadeo, 2007. "Network models and financial stability," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 2033-2060, June.
- Prasanna Gai & Sujit Kapadia, 2011.
"A Network Model of Super-Systemic Crises,"
Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,in: Rodrigo Alfaro (ed.), Financial Stability, Monetary Policy, and Central Banking, edition 1, volume 15, chapter 13, pages 411-432
Central Bank of Chile.
- Prasanna Gai & Sujit Kapadia, 2009. "A Network Model of Super-systemic Crises," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 542, Central Bank of Chile.
- Minoiu, Camelia & Reyes, Javier A., 2013. "A network analysis of global banking: 1978–2010," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 168-184.
- Jackson, Matthew O. & Watts, Alison, 2002. "The Evolution of Social and Economic Networks," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 265-295, October.
- Jackson, Matthew O., 1998. "The Evolution of Social and Economic Networks," Working Papers 1044, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Tanya Araújo & R. Vilela Mendes, 2001. "Function and form in networks of interacting agents," Working Papers Department of Economics 2001/03, ISEG - Lisbon School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, Universidade de Lisboa.
- Michael Boss & Helmut Elsinger & Martin Summer & Stefan Thurner, 2004. "An Empirical Analysis of the Network Structure of the Austrian Interbank Market," Financial Stability Report, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 7, pages 77-87.
- Castrén, Olli & Kavonius, Ilja Kristian, 2009. "Balance Sheet Interlinkages and Macro-Financial Risk Analysis in the Euro Area," Working Paper Series 1124, European Central Bank.
- Hua Chen & J. David Cummins & Krupa S. Viswanathan & Mary A. Weiss, 2014. "Systemic Risk and the Interconnectedness Between Banks and Insurers: An Econometric Analysis," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 81(3), pages 623-652, September.
- Kubelec, Chris & Sa, Filipa, 2010. "The geographical composition of national external balance sheets: 1980-2005," Bank of England working papers 384, Bank of England.
- Peltonen, Tuomas A. & Scheicher, Martin & Vuillemey, Guillaume, 2014. "The network structure of the CDS market and its determinants," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 13(C), pages 118-133.
- Scheicher, Martin & Peltonen, Tuomas & Vuillemey, Guillaume, 2013. "The network structure of the CDS market and its determinants," Working Paper Series 1583, European Central Bank.
- Sheri Markose & Simone Giansante & Mateusz Gatkowski & Ali Rais Shaghaghi, 2010. "Too Interconnected To Fail: Financial Contagion and Systemic Risk In Network Model of CDS and Other Credit Enhancement Obligations of US Banks," Working Papers 033, COMISEF.
- Garratt, Rodney & Mahadeva, Lavan & Svirydzenka, Katsiaryna, 2011. "Mapping systemic risk in the international banking network," Bank of England working papers 413, Bank of England. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pav:demwpp:demwp0052. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alice Albonico)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.