Structure and temporal change of the credit network between banks and large firms in Japan
We present a new approach to understanding credit relationships between commercial banks and quoted firms, and with this approach, examine the temporal change in the structure of the Japanese credit network from 1980 to 2005. At each year, the credit network is regarded as a weighted bipartite graph where edges correspond to the relationships and weights refer to the amounts of loans. Reduction in the supply of credit affects firms as debtor, and failure of a firm influences banks as creditor. To quantify the dependency and influence between banks and firms, we propose a set of scores of banks and firms, which can be calculated by solving an eigenvalue problem determined by the weight of the credit network. We found that a few largest eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors are significant by using a null hypothesis of random bipartite graphs, and that the scores can quantitatively describe the stability or fragility of the credit network during the 25 years.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Masaji Kano & Hirofumi Uchida & Gregory F. Udell & Wako Watanabe, 2006.
"Information Verifiability, Bank Organization, Bank Competition and Bank-Borrower Relationships,"
06003, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Kano, Masaji & Uchida, Hirofumi & Udell, Gregory F. & Watanabe, Wako, 2011. "Information verifiability, bank organization, bank competition and bank-borrower relationships," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 935-954, April.
- G. De Masi & Y. Fujiwara & M. Gallegati & B. Greenwald & J. E. Stiglitz, 2009. "An Analysis of the Japanese Credit Network," Papers 0901.2384, arXiv.org, revised Nov 2010.
- Hirofumi Uchida & Gregory F.Udell & Wako Watanabe, 2007.
"Bank Size and Lending Relationships in Japan,"
NBER Working Papers
13005, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Uchida, Hirofumi & Udell, Gregory F. & Watanabe, Wako, 2008. "Bank size and lending relationships in Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 242-267, June.
- Hirofumi Uchida & Gregory F. Udell & Wako Watanabe, 2008. "Bank size and lending relationships in Japan," NBER Chapters, in: Organizational Innovation and Firm Performance, pages 242-267 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Masanao Aoki, . "Reconstructing Macroeconomics: A Perspective from Statistical Physics and Combinatorial Stochastic Processes," UCLA Economics Online Papers 390, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Iori, Giulia & De Masi, Giulia & Precup, Ovidiu Vasile & Gabbi, Giampaolo & Caldarelli, Guido, 2008.
"A network analysis of the Italian overnight money market,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 259-278, January.
- Iori, G. & Masi, G. D. & Precup, O. V. & Gabbi, G. & Caldarelli, G., 2005. "A network analysis of the Italian oversight money market," Working Papers 05/05, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Ogawa, Kazuo & Sterken, Elmer & Tokutsu, Ichiro, 2007. "Why do Japanese firms prefer multiple bank relationship? Some evidence from firm-level data," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 49-70, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:0901.2377. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.