Consumer Preferences As Drivers Of The Common Bean Trade In Tanzania: A Marketing Perspective
The objective of this study was to determine the impact of bean grain quality characteristics on market price. The data was collected from retail markets in Tanzania. Hedonic pricing provides a statistical estimate of premiums and discounts. Implications for development of bean markets include: i) extension agents should identify cost-effective ways to educate producers on targeting urban market niches based on consumer preferences for varieties, ii) breeding for bruchid resistant beans and use of appropriate storage technologies would alleviate the problems of storage damage, and iii) requiring a portfolio of grain quality characteristics to fit consumer preferences in local markets.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 765 494-4191
Fax: 765 494-9176
Web page: http://www.agecon.purdue.edu/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fulgence Joseph Mishili & Joan Fulton & Musa Shehu & Saket Kushwaha & Kofi Marfo & Mustafa Jamal & Alpha Kergna & J. Lowenberg-DeBoer, 2009. "Consumer preferences for quality characteristics along the cowpea value chain in Nigeria, Ghana, and Mali," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 25(1), pages 16-35.
- Theresa Osborne, 2004. "Market News in Commodity Price Theory: Application to the Ethiopian GrainMarket," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71(1), pages 133-164, 01.
- Langyintuo, A. S. & Ntoukam, G. & Murdock, L. & Lowenberg-DeBoer, J. & Miller, D. J., 2004. "Consumer preferences for cowpea in Cameroon and Ghana," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 30(3), pages 203-213, May.
- Michael Boehlje, 1999. "Structural Changes in the Agricultural Industries: How Do We Measure, Analyze and Understand Them?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1028-1041.
- Jean D. Kinsey, 2001. "The New Food Economy: Consumers, Farms, Pharms, and Science," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1113-1130.
- Espinosa, Juan Andres & Goodwin, Barry K., 1991. "Hedonic Price Estimation For Kansas Wheat Characteristics," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(01), July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pae:wpaper:09-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Debby Weber)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.