Consumer preferences for quality characteristics along the cowpea value chain in Nigeria, Ghana, and Mali
The production and trade of cowpea is a growing business in West Africa. But a better understanding of consumer preferences is essential to market development. The objective of the study was to determine the impact of cowpea grain quality characteristics on market price. The data for the study were collected from markets in Nigeria, Ghana, and Mali. Hedonic pricing methods provide a statistical estimate of premiums and discounts. The results indicated that cowpea consumers in Ghana, Mali, and Nigeria are willing to pay a premium for large cowpea grains. Bruchid damage is not statistically significant in any market. The impact of price on other cowpea quality characteristics such as skin color and texture and eye color vary locally. Implications for development of the cowpea value chain are as follows: (a) researchers should identify cost-effective ways to increase cowpea grain size because larger grain are preferred and (b) serving local markets requires a portfolio of grain skin and eye color and skin texture combinations. [EconLit citations: Q130]. © 2009 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Volume (Year): 25 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Boehlje, 1999. "Structural Changes in the Agricultural Industries: How Do We Measure, Analyze and Understand Them?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1028-1041.
- Langyintuo, A. S. & Ntoukam, G. & Murdock, L. & Lowenberg-DeBoer, J. & Miller, D. J., 2004. "Consumer preferences for cowpea in Cameroon and Ghana," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 30(3), pages 203-213, May.
- Espinosa, Juan Andres & Goodwin, Barry K., 1991. "Hedonic Price Estimation For Kansas Wheat Characteristics," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(01), July.
- Augustine S. Langyintuo & J. Lowenberg-DeBoer & Channing Arndt, 2005. "Potential impacts of the proposed West African monetary zone on cowpea trade," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 33(s3), pages 411-421, November.
- Jean D. Kinsey, 2001. "The New Food Economy: Consumers, Farms, Pharms, and Science," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1113-1130.
- B. Wade Brorsen & Warren R. Grant & M. Edward Rister, 1984. "A Hedonic Price Model for Rough Rice Bid/Acceptance Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 66(2), pages 156-163.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:agribz:v:25:y:2009:i:1:p:16-35. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.