Fiscal deficit, capital formation, and crowding out: Evidence from India
Theoretical literature identifies two variants of crowding out in an economy-real and financial. The real (direct) crowding out occurs when the increase in public investment displaces private capital formation broadly on a dollar-for-dollar basis, irrespective of the mode of financing the fiscal deficit. The financial crowding out is the phenomenon of partial loss of private capital formation, due to the increase in the interest rates emanating from the pre-emption of real and financial resources by the government through bond-financing of fiscal deficit. The paper analysed the real and financial crowding out in India during 1970-71 to 2002-03. Using asymmetric vector autoregressive model, the paper finds no real crowding out between public (in particular, infrastructure) and private investment; rather complementarily is observed between the two. The dynamics of financial crowding out is captured through the dual transmission mechanism via real rate of interest; that is, whether private capital formation is interest rate sensitive and in turn whether the rise in real rate of interest is induced by fiscal deficit. The study found empirical evidence for the former, but not the latter, reinforcing no financial crowding out in India.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shiller, Robert J, 1979. "The Volatility of Long-Term Interest Rates and Expectations Models of the Term Structure," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(6), pages 1190-1219, December.
- Joshua Greene & Delano Villanueva, 1991. "Private Investment in Developing Countries: An Empirical Analysis," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 38(1), pages 33-58, March.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Khan, Mohsin, 1989.
"Private investment and economic growth in developing countries,"
13655, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Khan, Mohsin S. & Reinhart, Carmen M., 1990. "Private investment and economic growth in developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 19-27, January.
- repec:kap:iaecre:v:4:y:1998:i:4:p:374-383 is not listed on IDEAS
- Barro, Robert J., 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
3451399, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- W.H. Buiter, 2000.
"The Fallacy of the Fiscal Theory of the Price Level,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0447, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Buiter, Willem H., 1999. "The Fallacy of the Fiscal Theory of the Price Level," CEPR Discussion Papers 2205, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Willem H. Buiter, 1999. "The Fallacy of the Fiscal Theory of the Price Level," NBER Working Papers 7302, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gonzalo, Jesus, 1994. "Five alternative methods of estimating long-run equilibrium relationships," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 203-233.
- V. Sundararajan & Subhash Thakur, 1980. "Public Investment, Crowding out, and Growth: A Dynamic Model Applied to India and Korea (Investissement public, "effet de refoulement" et croissance: un modÃ¨le dynamique appliquÃ© Ã l'Inde ," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(4), pages 814-855, December.
- Otto, Glenn & Voss, Graham, 1996. "Public Capital and Private Production in Australia," MPRA Paper 52110, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Otto, Glenn & Voss, Graham M, 1994. "Public Capital and Private Sector Productivity," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 70(209), pages 121-32, June.
- Gupta, Kanhaya L & Moazzami, Bakhtiar, 1991. "Dynamic Specification and the Long-Run Effect of Budget Deficits on Interest Rates," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 46(2), pages 208-21.
- Pindyck, Robert S. & Solimano, Andres, 1993.
"Economic instability and aggregate investment,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1148, The World Bank.
- Robert S. Pindyck & Andres Solimano, 1993. "Economic Instability and Aggregate Investment," NBER Working Papers 4380, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pindyck, Robert S. & Solimano, Andrés., 1993. "Economic instability and aggregate investment," Working papers 3552-93., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Caines, P. E. & Keng, C. W. & Sethi, S. P., 1981. "Causality analysis and multivariate Autoregressive modelling with an application to supermarket sales analysis," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 267-298, November.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1998.
"Strategies for Controlling Inflation,"
NBER Working Papers
6122, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ahmad, Mushtaq, 1994. "The Effects of Government Budget Deficits on the Interest Rates: A Case Study of a Small Open Economy," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 47(1), pages 1-6.
- Hirotugu Akaike, 1969. "Fitting autoregressive models for prediction," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 21(1), pages 243-247, December.
- Makin, John H, 1983. "Real Interest, Money Surprises, Anticipated Inflation and Fiscal Deficits," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(3), pages 374-84, August.
- Cebula, Richard J., 1990. "Government Borrowing and Interest Rates in the United States: An Empirical Ana¬lysis Using the IS-LM Framework," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 43(2-3), pages 159-164.
- Lazaros E. Molho, 1986. "Interest Rates, Saving, and Investment in Developing Countries: A Re-Examination of the McKinnon-Shaw Hypotheses (Taux d'intÃ©rÃªt, Ã©pargne et investissement dans les pays en dÃ©veloppement: rÃ©exame," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(1), pages 90-116, March.
- Evans, Paul, 1985. "Do Large Deficits Produce High Interest Rates?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 68-87, March.
- Willem H. Buiter, 1990. "Principles of Budgetary and Financial Policy," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262524139.
- Shafik, Nemat & Shafik, Nemat, 1992. "Modeling private investment in Egypt," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 263-277, October.
- Grier, Kevin B, 1986. " A Note on Unanticipated Money Growth and Interest Rate Surprises: Mishkin and Makin Revisited," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(4), pages 981-85, September.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1980. "Two Illustrations of the Quantity Theory of Money," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 1005-14, December.
- Feldstein, Martin S & Eckstein, Otto, 1970. "The Fundamental Determinants of the Interest Rate," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 52(4), pages 363-75, November.
- Pradhan, B. K. & Ratha, D. K. & Sarma, Atul, 1990. "Complementarity between public and private investment in India," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 101-116, July.
- Cebula, Richard J, 1978. "An Empirical Analysis of the "Crowding Out" Effect of Fiscal Policy in the United States and Canada," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(3), pages 424-36.
- Keating, John W., 2000. "Macroeconomic Modeling with Asymmetric Vector Autoregressions," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-28, January.
- Richard Cebula, 1998. "Budget deficits and long-term interest rates: 1973–91," International Advances in Economic Research, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 4(4), pages 374-383, November.
- Andrew Feltenstein, 1986. "Financial Crowding out: Theory with an Application to Australia (Ã‰viction en matiÃ¨re de financement: thÃ©orie et application au cas de l'Australie) (El desplazamiento financiero: ExposiciÃ³n teÃ³ric," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(1), pages 60-89, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:npf:wpaper:06/43. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (S.Siva Chidambaram)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.