Formation of Nations in a Welfare State Minded World
We model the endogenous formation of nations in a world economy where nations apply redistributive policies. We show that stronger distributive policies may lead to greater inequality in the world's distribution of income as a result of rich individuals tending to form their own nations. By the same token, stable economic integration occurs only when redistributive policies are not too strong.
|Date of creation:||1995|
|Date of revision:||Aug 1999|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Public Economic Theory 2:157-181 (2000)|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Nir Dagan, Dept. of Economics and Management, Tel-Hai Academic College, Upper Galilee, Israel.|
Web page: http://www.nirdagan.com/research/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Myers, Gordon M., 1990.
"Optimality, free mobility, and the regional authority in a federation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 107-121, October.
- Myers & G.M., 1989. "Optimality, Free Mobility And The Regional Authority In Federation," Working Papers 10, John Deutsch Institute for the Study of Economic Policy.
- Greenberg, Joseph & Weber, Shlomo, 1986. "Strong tiebout equilibrium under restricted preferences domain," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 101-117, February.
- Hercowitz, Zvi & Pines, David, 1991.
"Migration with fiscal externalities,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 163-180, November.
- Epple, Dennis & Romer, Thomas, 1991. "Mobility and Redistribution," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(4), pages 828-58, August.
- Alberto Alesina & Enrico Spolaore, 1995.
"On the Number and Size of Nations,"
NBER Working Papers
5050, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alex Cukierman & Zvi Hercowitz & David Pines, 1994. "The Political Economy of Immigration," Public Economics 9405002, EconWPA.
- Harold L. Cole & Edward C. Prescott, 1996.
"Valuation equilibria with clubs,"
174, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Conley, John P. & Wooders, Myrna H., 1997. "Equivalence of the Core and Competitive Equilibrium in a Tiebout Economy with Crowding Types," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 421-440, May.
- Bryan Ellickson & Birgit Grodal & Suzanne Scotchmer & William R. Zame, 1999.
"Clubs and the Market,"
Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1185-1218, September.
- Bryan Ellickson & Birgit Grodal & Suzanne Scotchmer & William R. Zame, 1999. "Clubs and the Market," Discussion Papers 99-04, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Bryan Ellickson & Birgit Grodal & Suzanne Scotchmer & William R Zame, 2003. "Clubs and the Market," Levine's Working Paper Archive 618897000000000754, David K. Levine.
- Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim, 1995.
"Resisting Migration: Wage Rigidity and Income Distribution,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 312-16, May.
- Razin, A. & Sadka, E., 1992. "Resisting Migration: Wage Rigidity and Income Redistribution," Papers 28-94, Tel Aviv.
- Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim, 1995. "Resisting Migration: Wage Rigidity and Income Distribution," CEPR Discussion Papers 1091, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Patrick Bolton & Gérard Roland, 1997. "The Breakup of Nations: A Political Economy Analysis," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1057-1090.
- Guesnerie Roger & Oddou Claude, 1979.
"Second best taxation as a game,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Bennett, Elaine & Wooders, Myrna, 1979. "Income distribution and firm formation," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 304-317, September.
- Westhoff, Frank, 1977. "Existence of equilibria in economies with a local public good," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 84-112, February.
- Wildasin, David E, 1991. "Income Redistribution in a Common Labor Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 757-74, September.
- Roland Benabou, 1991.
"Workings of a City: Location, Education, and Production,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0113, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roland Benabou, 1993. "Workings of a City: Location, Education, and Production," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 108(3), pages 619-652.
- Bewley, Truman F, 1981. "A Critique of Tiebout's Theory of Local Public Expenditures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 713-40, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nid:ndagan:010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nir Dagan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.