Internal Hierarchy and Stable Coalition Structures
When an agent decides whether to join a coalition or not, she must consider both i) the expected strength of the coalition and ii) her position in the vertical structure within the coalition. We establish that there exists a positive relationship between the degree of inequality in remuneration across ranks within coalitions and the number of coalitions to be formed. When coalition size is unrestricted, in all stable systems the endogenous coalitions must be mixed and balanced in terms of members' abilities, with no segregation. When coalitions must have a fixed finite size, stable systems display segregation by clusters while maintaining the aforesaid feature within clusters.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Badia Fiesolana, Via dei Roccettini, 9, 50014 San Domenico di Fiesole (FI) Italy|
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/ECO/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Salvador Barberà & Carmen Beviá & Clara Ponsatí, 2014.
"Meritocracy, Egalitarianism and the Stability of Majoritarian Organizations,"
737, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Barberà, Salvador & Beviá, Carmen & Ponsatí, Clara, 2015. "Meritocracy, egalitarianism and the stability of majoritarian organizations," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 91(C), pages 237-257.
- Gabrielle Demange, 2004.
"On Group Stability in Hierarchies and Networks,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(4), pages 754-778, August.
- Suryapratim Banerjee & Hideo Konishi & Tayfun Sonmez, 1999.
"Core in a Simple Coalition Formation Game,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
449, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Michel Breton & Ignacio Ortuño-Ortin & Shlomo Weber, 2008. "Gamson’s law and hedonic games," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 30(1), pages 57-67, January.
- Sang-Seung, Yi, 1996. "Endogenous formation of customs unions under imperfect competition: open regionalism is good," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1-2), pages 153-177, August.
- Damiano, Ettore & Li, Hao & Suen, Wing, 2005.
"First in village or second in Rome?,"
Microeconomics.ca working papers
damiano-05-01-25-10-14-13, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 26 Jan 2005.
- Wooders, Myrna, 1978. "Equilibria, the core, and jurisdiction structures in economies with a local public good," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 328-348, August.
- Bandyopadhyay, Siddhartha & Chatterjee, Kalyan & Sjöström, Tomas, 2011.
"Pre-electoral Coalitions and Post-election Bargaining,"
Quarterly Journal of Political Science,
now publishers, vol. 6(1), pages 1-53, August.
- Siddhartha Bandyopadhyay & Kalyan Chatterjee & Tomas Sjostrom, 2010. "Pre-Electoral Coalitions and Post-Election Bargaining," Discussion Papers 09-10r, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Siddhartha Bandyopadhyay & Kalyan Chatterjee & Tomas Sjostrom, 2009. "Pre-Electoral Coalitions and Post-Election Bargaining," Discussion Papers 09-10, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Siddhartha Bandyopadhyay & Kalyan Chatterjee & Tomas Sjostrom, 2009. "Pre-electoral Coalitions and Post-election Bargaining," Departmental Working Papers 200908, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Levy, Gilat, 2004.
"A model of political parties,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 250-277, April.
- Konstantin Sonin & Georgy Egorov & Daron Acemoglu, 2008.
"Dynamics and Stability of Constitutions, Coalitions and Clubs,"
2008 Meeting Papers
314, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Daron Acemoglu & Georgy Egorov & Konstantin Sonin, 2012. "Dynamics and Stability of Constitutions, Coalitions, and Clubs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 102(4), pages 1446-76, June.
- Daron Acemoglu & Georgy Egorov & Konstantin Sonin, 2008. "Dynamics and Stability of Constitutions, Coalitions, and Clubs," NBER Working Papers 14239, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Igal Milchtaich & Eyal Winter, 2000.
"Stability and Segregation in Group Formation,"
Discussion Paper Series
dp263, The Federmann Center for the Study of Rationality, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem.
- Charles M. Tiebout, 1956. "A Pure Theory of Local Expenditures," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64, pages 416.
- Patrick Legros & Andrew Newman, 1996.
"Wealth effects, distribution, and the theory of organization,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/7036, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Legros, Patrick & Newman, Andrew F., 1996. "Wealth Effects, Distribution, and the Theory of Organization," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 312-341, August.
- George A. Akerlof, 1997. "Social Distance and Social Decisions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(5), pages 1005-1028, September.
- Philippe Jehiel & Suzanne Scotchmer, 2001. "Constitutional Rules of Exclusion in Jurisdiction Formation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 68(2), pages 393-413.
- Luis Garicano & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2005.
"Organization and Inequality in a Knowledge Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
11458, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luis Garicano & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2006. "Organization and Inequality in a Knowledge Economy," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 121(4), pages 1383-1435.
- Massimo Morelli & In-Uck Park, 2014.
"Internal Hierarchy and Stable Coalition Structures,"
528, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Morelli, Massimo & Park, In-Uck, 2016. "Internal hierarchy and stable coalition structures," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 96(C), pages 90-96.
- Massimo Morelli & In-Uck Park, 2011. "Internal Hierarchy and Stable Coalition Structures," Economics Working Papers ECO2011/20, European University Institute.
- Bogomolnaia, Anna & Jackson, Matthew O., 2002. "The Stability of Hedonic Coalition Structures," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 201-230, February.
- Alison Watts, 2007. "Formation of segregated and integrated groups," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 35(4), pages 505-519, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eui:euiwps:eco2011/20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne Banks)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.