Stable Coalition Structures with Common Decision Scheme
This paper studies the stability of a finite local public goods economy, where a jurisdiction's choice of the public good is given by an exogenous decision scheme. Although it is often assumed in local public good economies with a continuum of agents, this feature is new in the finite case. A major consequence is that when entering a jurisdiction, a player will always shift the choice of the jurisdiction. Surprisingly, it turns out that a Tiebout equilibrium exists for a large class of economies only if the decision scheme solely depends on the most extremes players of a jurisdiction. Under mild assumptions, we demonstrate the existence of a Tiebout equilibrium for such a decision scheme, and the non-emptiness of the core of the associated game as well. This model can be seen as a coalition formation game where agents' decisions are driven by two opposite forces. On the one hand, they seek to enter big coalitions, but on the other hand, agents seek to join coalitions in which they are not too heterogeneous.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alberto Alesina & Enrico Spolaore, 1997.
"On the Number and Size of Nations,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 112(4), pages 1027-1056.
- Westhoff, Frank, 1977. "Existence of equilibria in economies with a local public good," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 84-112, February.
- Philippe Jehiel & Suzanne Scotchmer, 2001. "Constitutional Rules of Exclusion in Jurisdiction Formation," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 68(2), pages 393-413.
- Demange, Gabrielle, 1994.
"Intermediate preferences and stable coalition structures,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 45-58, January.
- Gabrielle Demange, 1994. "Intermediate Preferences and Stable Coalition Structures," Post-Print halshs-00670920, HAL.
- Demange, G., 1991. "Intermediate Preferences and Stable Coalition Structures," DELTA Working Papers 91-16, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Salvador Barbera & Carmen Bevia, 2000.
"Self-Selection Consistent Choices,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1322, Econometric Society.
- Salvador Barber?Author-Name: Carmen Bevi?Author-Email: Carmen.Bevia@uab.es, . "Stable Condorcet Rules," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 539.02, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Carmen Bevi? & Salvador Barber?, . "Self-Selection Consistent Functions," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 468.00, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Konishi, Hideo & Le Breton, Michel & Weber, Shlomo, 1998. "Equilibrium in a Finite Local Public Goods Economy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 224-244, April.
- Milchtaich, Igal & Winter, Eyal, 2002.
"Stability and Segregation in Group Formation,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 318-346, February.
- Greenberg, Joseph & Shitovitz, Benyamin, 1988. "Consistent voting rules for competitive local public goods economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 223-236, December.
- Suryapratim Banerjee & Hideo Konishi & Tayfun Sonmez, 1999.
"Core in a Simple Coalition Formation Game,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
449, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Konishi, Hideo, 1996. "Voting with Ballots and Feet: Existence of Equilibrium in a Local Public Good Economy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 480-509, February.
- Barbera, Salvador & Gerber, Anke, 2003.
"On coalition formation: durable coalition structures,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 185-203, April.
- Barbera, Salvador & Gerber, Anke, 2003. "Corrigendum to "On coalition formation: durable coalition structures": [Mathematical Social Sciences 45 (2003) 185-203]," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 355-356, December.
- Dreze, J H & Greenberg, J, 1980. "Hedonic Coalitions: Optimality and Stability," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 987-1003, May.
- Greenberg, Joseph & Weber, Shlomo, 1986. "Strong tiebout equilibrium under restricted preferences domain," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 101-117, February.
- Rose-Ackerman, Susan, 1979. "Market models of local government: Exit, voting, and the land market," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 319-337, July.
- Bogomolnaia, Anna & Jackson, Matthew O., 2002. "The Stability of Hedonic Coalition Structures," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 201-230, February.
- Bewley, Truman F, 1981. "A Critique of Tiebout's Theory of Local Public Expenditures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 713-40, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:wc2000:1077. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.