Heterogeneous Tiebout communities with private production and anonymous crowding
This paper provides a general equilibrium model where jurisdictions offer not only public goods, but also job opportunities. In a context of multiple types of consumers, labor complementarities, and anonymous crowding, heterogeneous populated communities form in equilibrium with an endogenous wage system that is labor-type and jurisdiction-type dependent. Equilibrium jurisdiction structures depend on the relative scarcity of labor types, unlike the situation in Berglas' (1976) partial equilibrium analysis. For a large economy, we prove that equilibrium exists and that the set of equilibria is equivalent to the core.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 43 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/regec|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Konishi, Hideo, 2008.
"Tiebout's tale in spatial economies: Entrepreneurship, self-selection, and efficiency,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 461-477, September.
- Hideo Konishi, 2006. "Tiebout's Tale in Spatial Economies: Entrepreneurship, Self-Selection, and Efficiency," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 655, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 03 Jan 2008.
- Berglas, Eitan, 1976. "Distribution of tastes and skills and the provision of local public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 409-423, November.
- Hideo Konishi, 2010.
"Efficient Mixed Clubs: Nonlinear-Pricing Equilibria With Entrepreneurial Managers,"
The Japanese Economic Review,
Japanese Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 35-63.
- Hideo Konishi, 2009. "Efficient Mixed Clubs: Nonlinear-Pricing Equilibria with Entrepreneurial Managers," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 710, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 08 Sep 2009.
- Conley, John P. & Wooders, Myrna H., 1997. "Equivalence of the Core and Competitive Equilibrium in a Tiebout Economy with Crowding Types," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 421-440, May.
- Ellickson, Bryan & Grodal, Birgit & Scotchmer, Suzanne & Zane, William R., 1997.
"clubs and the Market: Large Finite Economies,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt10k1b44j, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Bryan Ellickson and Birgit Grodal, Suzanne Scotchmer, and William R.Zame., 1997. "Clubs and the Market: Large Finite Economies," Economics Working Papers 97-255, University of California at Berkeley.
- Bryan Ellickson & Birgit Grodal & Suzanne Scotchmer & William Zame, 1997. "Clubs and the Market: Large Finite Economies," UCLA Economics Working Papers 766, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Bryan Ellickson & Birgit Grodal & Suzanne Scotchmer & William R. Zame, 1999. "Clubs and the Market: Large Finite Economies," Discussion Papers 99-05, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- William R. Zame, 2005.
"Incentives, Contracts And Markets: A General Equilibrium Theory Of Firms,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
843, UCLA Department of Economics.
- William R. Zame, 2007. "Incentives, Contracts, and Markets: A General Equilibrium Theory of Firms," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(5), pages 1453-1500, 09.
- Wooders, Myrna, 1978. "Equilibria, the core, and jurisdiction structures in economies with a local public good," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 328-348, August.
- Scotchmer, Suzanne & Wooders, Myrna Holtz, 1987. "Competitive equilibrium and the core in club economies with anonymous crowding," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 159-173, November.
- Roland Benabou, 1993.
"Workings of a City: Location, Education, and Production,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 108(3), pages 619-652.
- Roland Benabou, 1991. "Workings of a City: Location, Education, and Production," NBER Technical Working Papers 0113, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bryan Ellickson & Birgit Grodal & Suzanne Scotchmer & William R Zame, 2003.
"Clubs and the Market,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
618897000000000754, David K. Levine.
- Conley, John P. & Wooders, Myrna H., 2001. "Tiebout Economies with Differential Genetic Types and Endogenously Chosen Crowding Characteristics," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 261-294, June.
- Andreu Mas-Colell, 1980. "Efficiency and Decentralization in the Pure Theory of Public Goods," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 94(4), pages 625-641.
- Allouch, Nizar & Conley, John P. & Wooders, Myrna, 2009.
"Anonymous price taking equilibrium in Tiebout economies with a continuum of agents: Existence and characterization,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(9-10), pages 492-510, September.
- Nizar Allouch & John P. Conley & Myrna Wooders, 2008. "Anonymous Price Taking Equilibrium in Tiebout Economies with a Continuum of Agents: Existence and Characterization," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0811, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Kaneko, Mamoru & Wooders, Myrna Holtz, 1986. "The core of a game with a continuum of players and finite coalitions: The model and some results," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 105-137, October.
- McGuire, Martin C, 1991. "Group Composition, Collective Consumption, and Collaborative Production," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1391-407, December.
- Bewley, Truman F, 1981. "A Critique of Tiebout's Theory of Local Public Expenditures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(3), pages 713-40, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:regeco:v:43:y:2013:i:1:p:117-123. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.