The Organization of Production, Consumption, and Learning
This paper provides an extension of general equilibrium theory that incorporates the actions of individuals both as demanders and suppliers of goods and as members of firms, schools, social groups, and contractual relationships. The central notion of the paper is a group: a collection of individuals associated with one another for some purpose. The model takes as primitive an exogenous set of group types, interpretable as (potential) firms, schools, social groups, contracts etc. The types of schools and firms that materialize in equilibrium, as well as the way that agents acquire skills, are determined endogenously in a competitive market, as are the contracts they enter into, and the production and consumption of private commodities. The model is well-founded (equilibrium exists) and passes a basic test of perfect competition (coincidence of the core with the set of equilibrium states). Examples and Applications illustrate the flexibility and power of the framework.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1999|
|Date of revision:||Jun 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Øster Farimagsgade 5, Building 26, DK-1353 Copenhagen K., Denmark|
Phone: (+45) 35 32 30 10
Fax: +45 35 32 30 00
Web page: http://www.econ.ku.dk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bryan Ellickson & Birgit Grodal & Suzanne Scotchmer & William R. Zame, 1999.
"Clubs and the Market,"
Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1185-1218, September.
- Bryan Ellickson & Birgit Grodal & Suzanne Scotchmer & William R Zame, 2003. "Clubs and the Market," Levine's Working Paper Archive 618897000000000754, David K. Levine.
- Bryan Ellickson & Birgit Grodal & Suzanne Scotchmer & William R. Zame, 1999. "Clubs and the Market," Discussion Papers 99-04, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Ellickson, Bryan & Grodal, Birgit & Scotchmer, Suzanne & Zane, William R., 1997.
"clubs and the Market: Large Finite Economies,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt10k1b44j, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Bryan Ellickson & Birgit Grodal & Suzanne Scotchmer & William Zame, 1997. "Clubs and the Market: Large Finite Economies," UCLA Economics Working Papers 766, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Bryan Ellickson & Birgit Grodal & Suzanne Scotchmer & William R. Zame, 1999. "Clubs and the Market: Large Finite Economies," Discussion Papers 99-05, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Bryan Ellickson and Birgit Grodal, Suzanne Scotchmer, and William R.Zame., 1997. "Clubs and the Market: Large Finite Economies," Economics Working Papers 97-255, University of California at Berkeley.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kud:kuiedp:0323. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Hoffmann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.