International Implications of German Unification
This paper advances the hypothesis that the EUS crisis was caused by German unification. The unification has implied a massive resource demand which parallels the US resource demand following Reagan's tax reforms in the eighties. The resource demand revised the German interest rates relative to the rest of the world which brought about devaluations of other European currencies. The paper identifies those European currencies which currently are undervalued.
|Date of creation:||Nov 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as The Economics of Globalization. Razin, A., and E. Sadka, eds., Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1999, pp. 33-58.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sinn, Hans-Werner & Weichenrieder, Alfons J., 1997.
"Foreign direct investment, political resentment and the privatization process in eastern Europe,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19562, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Alfons J. Weichenrieder, 1997. "Foreign direct investment, political resentment and the privatization process in eastern Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 12(24), pages 177-210, 04.
- Adams, Gwyn & Alexander, Lewis & Gagnon, Joseph, 1993.
"German unification and the European Monetary System: A quantitative analysis,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 353-392, August.
- Gwyn Adams & Lewis Alexander & Joseph Gagnon, 1992. "German unification and the European monetary system: a quantitative analysis," International Finance Discussion Papers 421, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1994.
"Fixed Exchange Rates as a Means to Price Stability: What Have We Learned?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
872, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Svensson, Lars E. O., 1994. "Fixed exchange rates as a means to price stability: What have we learned?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 447-468, April.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1993. "Fixed Exchange Rates As a Means to Price Stability: What Have we Learned?," Papers 553, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1993. "Fixed Exchange Rates as a Means to Price Stability: What Have We Learned," NBER Working Papers 4504, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Wyplosz, 1991. "On the real exchange rate effect of German unification," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 127(1), pages 1-17, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:5839. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.