The analogy between the economic problems of the Mezzogiorno region and East Germany has been initially contested by many authors. This paper argues that there are striking similarities in the two regions, in terms of the causes of their economic predicament. With an aggregate labour productivity of 55% relative to the rest of the country, both are true transfer economies, whose consumption exceeds production by far. Beyond locational disadvantages, the present paper identifies overdrawn wages, high social security spending and the Dutch disease problem as core reasons for the poor economic performance and discusses possible cures.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Sinn, Hans-Werner and Frank Westermann. "Due 'Mezzogiorni'." L'Industria, Nuova Serie 27, 1 (January-MArch 2006): 49-51.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Albert Alesina & Stephan Danninger & Massimo Rostagno, 2001.
"Redistribution Through Public Employment: The Case of Italy,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(3), pages 2.
- Alberto Alesina & Stephan Danninger & Massimo Rostagno, 1999. "Redistribution Through Public Employment: The Case of Italy," NBER Working Papers 7387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephan Danninger & Alberto Alesina & Massimo V. Rostagno, 1999. "Redistribution Through Public Employment; The Case of Italy," IMF Working Papers 99/177, International Monetary Fund.
- Michael Bruno & Jeffrey Sachs, 1982. "Energy and Resource Allocation: A Dynamic Model of the "Dutch Disease"," NBER Working Papers 0852, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernard, A.B. & Durlauf, S.N., 1993.
"Convergence in International Output,"
93-7, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1996.
"International Implications of German Unification,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1508, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Boltho, Andrea & Carlin, Wendy & Scaramozzino, Pasquale, 1997.
"Will East Germany Become a New Mezzogiorno?,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 241-264, June.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 2002.
"Germany's Economic Unification: An Assessment after Ten Years,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 113-28, February.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2000. "Germany's Economic Unification. An Assessment after Ten Years," CESifo Working Paper Series 247, CESifo Group Munich.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 2002. "Germany’s Economic Unification: An Assessment after Ten Years," Munich Reprints in Economics 19643, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2000. "Germany's Economic Unification: An Assessment after Ten Years," NBER Working Papers 7586, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Faini, R. & Galli, G. & Giannini, C., 1992.
"Finance and Development : the Case of Southern Italy,"
170, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Faini, Riccardo & Giannini, Curzio & Ingrosso, Fulvio, 1992. "Finance and Development: The Case of Southern Italy," CEPR Discussion Papers 674, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wolfgang Nierhaus, 1999.
"Höhere Rentenanpassung in Ostdeutschland erforderlich?,"
Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 52(19), pages 20-24, October.
- Wolfgang Nierhaus, 1999. "Höhere Rentenanpassung in Ostdeutschland erforderlich ?," ifo Dresden berichtet, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 6(04), pages 45-51, October.
- Michele Boldrin & Fabio Canova, 2001. "Inequality and convergence in Europe's regions: reconsidering European regional policies," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 16(32), pages 205-253, 04.
- Eswar Prasad & Francesca Utili, 1998. "The Italian Labor Market; Stylized Facts, Institutions, and Directions for Reform," IMF Working Papers 98/42, International Monetary Fund.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Antonio Garcia Pascual, 2004.
"Testing for output convergence: a re-examination,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 56(1), pages 45-63, January.
- Yin-wong Cheung & Antonio Garcia-Pascual, 2004. "Testing for Output Convergence: A Re-examination," Working Papers 052004, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Antonio I. Garcia Pascual, 2000. "Testing for Output Convergence: A Re-Examination," CESifo Working Paper Series 319, CESifo Group Munich.
- Andrew B. Bernard & Steven N. Durlauf, 1994.
"Interpreting Tests of the Convergence Hypothesis,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0159, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Faini, Riccardo & Galli, Giampaolo & Gennari, Pietro & Rossi, Fulvio, 1997. "An empirical puzzle: Falling migration and growing unemployment differentials among Italian regions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 571-579, April.
- Barro, R.J., 1989.
"Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries,"
RCER Working Papers
201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Bruno, Michael & Sachs, Jeffrey, 1982. "Energy and Resource Allocation: A Dynamic Model of the "Dutch Disease"," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(5), pages 845-59, Special I.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S, 1995. "Lag Order and Critical Values of the Augmented Dickey-Fuller Test," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 277-80, July.
- van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1984. "Inflation, Employment, and the Dutch Disease in Oil-Exporting Countries: A Short-Run Disequilibrium Analysis," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 99(2), pages 233-50, May.
- van Wijnbergen, Sweder J G, 1984. "The 'Dutch Disease': A Disease after All?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(373), pages 41-55, March.
- Taylor, Jim & Bradley, Steve, 1997. "Unemployment in Europe: A Comparative Analysis of Regional Disparities in Germany, Italy and the UK," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(2), pages 221-45.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:8125. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.