International Implications of German Unification
This paper advances the hypothesis that the EMS crisis was caused by German unification. Unification stimulated massive resource demand, which paralleled resource demand in the United States following Reagan’s tax reforms in the 1980s. The resource demand revised German interest rates relative to the rest of the world, which brought about devaluations of other European currencies. The paper identifies those European currencies needing revaluation before they can join the European currency union.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Nov 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1993.
"Fixed Exchange Rates As a Means to Price Stability: What Have we Learned?,"
553, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, Lars E. O., 1994. "Fixed exchange rates as a means to price stability: What have we learned?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 447-468, April.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1994. "Fixed Exchange Rates as a Means to Price Stability: What Have We Learned?," CEPR Discussion Papers 872, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1993. "Fixed Exchange Rates as a Means to Price Stability: What Have We Learned," NBER Working Papers 4504, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner & Weichenrieder, Alfons J., 1997.
"Foreign direct investment, political resentment and the privatization process in eastern Europe,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19562, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Alfons J. Weichenrieder, 1997. "Foreign direct investment, political resentment and the privatization process in eastern Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 12(24), pages 177-210, 04.
- Adams, Gwyn & Alexander, Lewis & Gagnon, Joseph, 1993.
"German unification and the European Monetary System: A quantitative analysis,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 353-392, August.
- Gwyn Adams & Lewis Alexander & Joseph Gagnon, 1992. "German unification and the European monetary system: a quantitative analysis," International Finance Discussion Papers 421, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Charles Wyplosz, 1991. "On the real exchange rate effect of German unification," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 127(1), pages 1-17, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:1508. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.