International Implications of German Unification
This paper advances the hypothesis that the EMS crisis was caused by German unification. Unification stimulated massive resource demand, which paralleled resource demand in the United States following Reagan’s tax reforms in the 1980s. The resource demand revised German interest rates relative to the rest of the world, which brought about devaluations of other European currencies. The paper identifies those European currencies needing revaluation before they can join the European currency union.
|Date of creation:||Nov 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Svensson, Lars E. O., 1994.
"Fixed exchange rates as a means to price stability: What have we learned?,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 447-468, April.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1993. "Fixed Exchange Rates as a Means to Price Stability: What Have We Learned," NBER Working Papers 4504, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1993. "Fixed Exchange Rates As a Means to Price Stability: What Have we Learned?," Papers 553, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1994. "Fixed Exchange Rates as a Means to Price Stability: What Have We Learned?," CEPR Discussion Papers 872, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gwyn Adams & Lewis S. Alexander & Joseph E. Gagnon, 1992.
"German unification and the European monetary system: a quantitative analysis,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
421, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Adams, Gwyn & Alexander, Lewis & Gagnon, Joseph, 1993. "German unification and the European Monetary System: A quantitative analysis," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 353-392, August.
- Charles Wyplosz, 1991. "On the real exchange rate effect of German unification," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 127(1), pages 1-17, March.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Alfons J. Weichenrieder, 1997. "Foreign direct investment, political resentment and the privatization process in eastern Europe," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 12(24), pages 177-210, 04.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner & Weichenrieder, Alfons J., 1997. "Foreign direct investment, political resentment and the privatization process in eastern Europe," Munich Reprints in Economics 19562, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:1508. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.