Eurowinners and Eurolosers: The Distribution of Seigniorage Wealth in EMU
The European Monetary Union (EMU) will involve socialization of the existing seigniorage wealth of the national central banks, because the Euro will have to be bought by these banks in exchange for assets which have been accumulated in the historical process of money creation. This socialization will create windfall gains for countries with relatively low monetary bases such as France and the UK and it will be disadvantageous for countries like Germany, the Netherlands and Spain which will suffer per capita wealth losses of between 406 and 182 ecus. This paper quantifies the gains and losses in seigniorage wealth under alternative membership and bank regulation scenarios.
|Date of creation:||Jun 1997|
|Publication status:||published as European Journal of Political Economy, vol. 13 (1997) 665-689|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sibert, Anne, 1994. "The allocation of seigniorage in a common currency area," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1-2), pages 111-122, August.
- Daniel Gros & Guyvandille, 1995.
"Seigniorage and EMU: The Fiscal Implications of Price Stability and Financial Market Integration,"
Journal of Common Market Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(2), pages 175-196, 06.
- Gros, Daniel, 1993. "Seigniorage and EMU : The fiscal implications of price stability and financial market integration," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 581-601, November.
- Tori, Cynthia Royal, 1997. "Monetary Unions and the Effects of Seigniorage Sharing," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 193-204, January.
- Seitz, Franz, 1995. "Der DM-Umlauf im Ausland," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 1995,01, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1996. "International Implications of German Unification," CEPR Discussion Papers 1508, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 1996. "International Implications of German Unification," NBER Working Papers 5839, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 1996. "International Implications of German Unification," CESifo Working Paper Series 117, CESifo Group Munich.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:6072. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.