Why is Europe forming a monetary union?
On January 1, 1999, 11 European countries will officially become a monetary union with one currency, the euro. Forming a monetary union brings benefits, such as increased trade between countries. But it carries costs as well. To join the union, each country must cede its right to set individual monetary and exchange-rate policies. Yet each country’s economic situation may differ from that of its fellow union members. How will these countries--and the union--fare when economic shocks hit, especially shocks that affect one country or region more than another? In this article, Gwen Eudey weighs the benefits and costs of European monetary union and discusses some of the issues involved.
Volume (Year): (1998)
Issue (Month): Nov ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.philadelphiafed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.phil.frb.org/publicaffairs/pubs/index.html Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jimeno, Juan F & Viñals, José, 1996. "Monetary Union and European Unemployment," CEPR Discussion Papers 1485, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1997. "Europe's gamble," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 28(2), pages 241-317.
- Bayoumi, Tamim & Eichengreen, Barry, 1992.
"Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
643, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tamim Bayoumi and Barry Eichengreen., 1992. "Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification," Economics Working Papers 92-187, University of California at Berkeley.
- Tamim Bayoumi & Barry Eichengreen, 1992. "Shocking Aspects of European Monetary Unification," NBER Working Papers 3949, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1996.
"International Implications of German Unification,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1508, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joseph A. Whitt, 1997. "Decision time for European Monetary Union," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q 3, pages 20-33.
- Brian A. Cromwell, 1994. "California recession and recovery," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue apr29.
- Eichengreen, Barry, 1993. "European Monetary Unification," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(3), pages 1321-57, September.
- repec:fda:fdaddt:9622 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedpbr:y:1998:i:nov:p:13-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Beth Paul)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.