Fixed Exchange Rates as a Means to Price Stability: What Have We Learned
The paper discusses what we have learned from last year's currency crises in ERM and the Nordic countries about fixed exchange rates as a means to achieve price stability. After discussing the explanations for the crises, the paper concludes that fixed exchange rates are not a shortcut to price stability. Monetary stability and credibility have to be built at home and cannot easily be imported from abroad. Fixed exchange rates are more fragile and difficult to maintain than previously thought. They may even be in conflict with price stability, by inducing a procyclical destabilizing monetary policy, and by inducing an inflation bias. Building monetary credibility is even more important with flexible exchange rates.
|Date of creation:||Oct 1993|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as European Economic Review, vol. 38, no. 1, pp. 447-468, January 1994 EEA Alfred Marshall Lecture|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Phillips, Steven, 1992.
"The European Monetary System: Credible at Last?,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 44(4), pages 791-816, October.
- Robert P. Flood & Peter M. Garber, 1981.
"Gold monetization and gold discipline,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
190, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Andrew K. Rose & Lars E.O. Svensson, 1993.
"European Exchange Rate Credibility Before the Fall,"
NBER Working Papers
4495, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rose, Andrew K. & Svensson, Lars E. O., 1994. "European exchange rate credibility before the fall," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 1185-1216, June.
- Rose, Andrew K & Svensson, Lars E O, 1993. "European Exchange Rate Credibility Before the Fall," CEPR Discussion Papers 852, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rose, A.K. & Svensson, L.E.O., 1993. "European Exchange Rate Credibility Before the Fall," Papers 542, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Ben Bernanke & Frederic Mishkin, 1992.
"Central Bank Behavior and the Strategy of Monetary Policy: Observations from Six Industrialized Countries,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1992, Volume 7, pages 183-238
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ben Bernanke & Frederic Mishkin, 1992. "Central Bank Behavior and the Strategy of Monetary Policy: Observations From Six Industrialized Countries," NBER Working Papers 4082, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry Eichengreen & Charles Wyplosz, 1993. "The Unstable EMS," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 24(1), pages 51-144.
- Miller, Marcus & Sutherland, Alan, 1990.
"The `Walters' Critique of the EMS: A Case of Inconsistent Expectations,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
480, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Miller, Marcus & Sutherland, Alan, 1991. "The "Walters Critique" of the EMS--A Case of Inconsistent Expectations?," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 59(0), pages 23-37, Supplemen.
- Miller, M & Sutherland, A, 1990. "The 'Walters Critique' of the EMS - A Case of Inconsistent Expectations," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 363, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1986.
"Rational and Self-fulfilling Balance-of-Payments Crises,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 76(1), pages 72-81, March.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1984. "Rational and Self-Fulfilling Balance-of-Payments Crises," NBER Working Papers 1486, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giavazzi, Francesco & Spaventa, Luigi, 1990.
"The `New' EMS,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
369, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Portes, 1993. "EMS and EMU After the Fall," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 1-15, 01.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:4504. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.