Distance, Demand, and Oligopoly Pricing
We demonstrate how to estimate a model of product demand and oligopoly pricing when products are multi-dimensionally differentiated. We provide an empirical counterpart to recent theoretical work on product differentiation. Using specifications informed by economic theory, we simultaneously estimate a demand system and price-cost margins for products differentiated in many dimensions.
|Date of creation:||Aug 1989|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as "Estimating Markups and Market Conduct with Multidimensional Product Attributes," Review of Economic Studies, vol. 62, pp 19-52, 1995.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Trajtenberg, Manuel, 1989. "The Welfare Analysis of Product Innovations, with an Application to Computed Tomography Scanners," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(2), pages 444-79, April.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1981. "Departures from marginal-cost pricing in the American automobile industry : Estimates for 1977-1978," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 201-227, November.
- Jones, Larry E, 1988. "The Characteristics Model, Hedonic Prices, and the Clientele Effect," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(3), pages 551-67, June.
- Edward E. Leamer, 1982.
"Let's Take the Con Out of Econometrics,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
239, UCLA Department of Economics.
- ANDERSON, Simon & de PALMA, André & THISSE, Jacques-François, .
"A representative consumer theory of the logit model,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
805, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Anderson, Simon Peter & de Palma, Andre & Thisse, Jacques-Francois, 1988. "A Representative Consumer Theory of the Logit Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 29(3), pages 461-66, August.
- ANDERSON, S. & de PALMA, A. & THISSE, J.-F., 1986. "A representative consumer theory of the logit model," CORE Discussion Papers 1986043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Levinsohn, James & Feenstra, Robert, 1990.
"Identifying the competition,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(3-4), pages 199-215, May.
- Quandt, Richard E., 1983. "Computational problems and methods," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 699-764 Elsevier.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:3076. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.