Impacts of Unionization on Employment, Product Quality and Productivity: Regression Discontinuity Evidence From Nursing Homes
This paper studies the effects of nursing home unionization on numerous labor, establishment, and consumer outcomes using a regression discontinuity design. We find negative effects of unionization on staffing levels and no decline in care quality, suggesting positive labor productivity effects. Some evidence suggests that nursing homes in less competitive local product markets and those with lower union density at the time of election experienced stronger union employment effects. Unionization appears to raise wages for a given worker while also shifting the composition of the workforce away from higher-earning workers. By combining credible identification of union effects, a comprehensive set of outcomes over time with measures of market-level characteristics, this study generates some of the best evidence available on many controversial questions in the economics of unions. Furthermore, it generates evidence from the service sector, which has grown in importance and where evidence has been thin.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daron Acemoglu & Jorn-Steffen Pischke, 1998.
"The Structure of Wages and Investment in General Training,"
NBER Working Papers
6357, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daron Acemoglu & Jorn-Steffen Pischke, 1999. "The Structure of Wages and Investment in General Training," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(3), pages 539-572, June.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Pischke, Jörn-Steffen, 1998. "The Structure of Wages and Investment in General Training," CEPR Discussion Papers 1833, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Acemoglu, D. & Pischke, J.S., 1997. "The Structure of Wages and Investment in General Training," Working papers 97-24, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Cawley, John & Grabowski, David C. & Hirth, Richard A., 2006. "Factor substitution in nursing homes," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 234-247, March.
- Hirsch, B.T. & Scumacher, E.J., 1996.
"Union Wages, Rents, and Skills in Health Care Labor Markets,"
1996_03_02, Department of Economics, Florida State University.
- Barry T. Hirsch & Edward J. Schumacher, . "Union Wages, Rents, and Skills in Health Care Labor Markets," Working Papers 9603, East Carolina University, Department of Economics.
- Barry T. Hirsch & Edward J. Schumacher, . "Union Wages, Rents, and Skills in Health Care Labor Markets," Working Papers 9721, East Carolina University, Department of Economics.
- Barry T. Hirsch & Edward J. Schumacher, 1998.
"Unions, Wages, and Skills,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(1), pages 201-219.
- Farber, H.S. & Abowd, J.M., 1990. "Product Market Competition, Union Organizing Activity, And The Employer Resistance," Working papers 551, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- David S. Lee & Thomas Lemieux, 2010.
"Regression Discontinuity Designs in Economics,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 48(2), pages 281-355, June.
- Richard B. Freeman & Morris M. Kleiner, 1988. "The Impact Of New Unionization On Wages And Working Conditions: A Longitudinal Study Of Establishments Under NLRB Elections," NBER Working Papers 2563, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dustmann, Christian & Schönberg, Uta, 2004.
"Training and Union Wages,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1435, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Richard B. Freeman & Morris M. Kleiner, 1999.
"Do Unions Make Enterprises Insolvent?,"
Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 52(4), pages 510-527, July.
- David G. Blanchflower & Alex Bryson, 2004. "What Effect Do Unions Have on Wages Now and Would Freeman and Medoff Be Surprised?," Journal of Labor Research, Transaction Publishers, vol. 25(3), pages 383-414, July.
- Freeman, Richard Barry & Kleiner, Morris M., 1990.
"The Impact of New Unionization on Wages and Working Conditions,"
4632238, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Freeman, Richard B & Kleiner, Morris M, 1990. "The Impact of New Unionization on Wages and Working Conditions," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(1), pages S8-25, January.
- Gertler, Paul J & Waldman, Donald M, 1992. "Quality-Adjusted Cost Functions and Policy Evaluation in the Nursing Home Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(6), pages 1232-56, December.
- Reynolds, Morgan O, 1986. "Trade Unions in the Production Process Reconsidered," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(2), pages 443-47, April.
- Thomas J. Holmes, 2006.
"Geographic spillover of unionism,"
368, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Barry T. Hirsch, 2004.
"What Do Unions Do for Economic Performance?,"
Journal of Labor Research,
Transaction Publishers, vol. 25(3), pages 415-456, July.
- John R. Bowblis, 2011. "Ownership conversion and closure in the nursing home industry," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(6), pages 631-644, June.
- Edward C. Norton, 2013. "nursing homes," The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Stewart, M.B., 1989.
"Union Wage Differentials, Product Market Influences And The Division Of Rents,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
323, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Stewart, Mark B, 1990. "Union Wage Differentials, Product Market Influences and the Division of Rents," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(403), pages 1122-37, December.
- McDonald, Ian M & Solow, Robert M, 1981. "Wage Bargaining and Employment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 896-908, December.
- Mellow, Wesley S, 1981. "Unionism and Wages: A Longitudinal Analysis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(1), pages 43-52, February.
- Elhanan Helpman & Paul Krugman, 1987. "Market Structure and Foreign Trade: Increasing Returns, Imperfect Competition, and the International Economy," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026258087x, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:17733. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.