Impacts of Unionization on Quality and Productivity: Regression Discontinuity Evidence from Nursing Homes
This paper studies the effects of nursing home unionization on numerous labor, establishment, and consumer outcomes using a regression discontinuity design. We find negative effects of unionization on staffing levels and no decline in care quality, suggesting positive labor productivity effects. Some evidence suggests that nursing homes in less competitive local product markets and those with lower union density at the time of election experienced stronger union employment effects. Unionization appears to raise wages for a given worker while also shifting the composition of the workforce away from higher-earning workers. By combining credible identification of union effects, a comprehensive set of outcomes over time with measures of market-level characteristics, this study generates some of the best evidence available on many controversial questions in the economics of unions. Furthermore, it generates evidence from the service sector, which has grown in importance and where evidence has been thin.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2014|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming: Industrial and Labor Relations Review|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ernst Fehr & Holger Herz & Tom Wilkening, 2012.
"The lure of authority: Motivation and incentive effects of power,"
UBSCENTER - Working Papers
002, UBS International Center of Economics in Society - Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Ernst Fehr & Holger Herz & Tom Wilkening, 2013. "The Lure of Authority: Motivation and Incentive Effects of Power," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 103(4), pages 1325-1359, June.
- Ernst Fehr & Holger Herz & Tom Wilkening, 2012. "The Lure of Authority: Motivation and Incentive Effects of Power," CESifo Working Paper Series 4021, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ernst Fehr & Holger Herz & Tom Wilkening, 2012. "The lure of authority: Motivation and incentive effects of power," ECON - Working Papers 099, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Fehr, Ernst & Herz, Holger & Wilkening, Tom, 2012. "The Lure of Authority: Motivation and Incentive Effects of Power," IZA Discussion Papers 7030, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ernst Fehr & Holger Herz & Tom Wilkening, 2010. "The Lure of Authority: Motivation and Incentive E ects of Power," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 1115, The University of Melbourne.
- Reynolds, Morgan O, 1986. "Trade Unions in the Production Process Reconsidered," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(2), pages 443-447, April.
- Patrick Bajari & Han Hong & Minjung Park & Robert Town, 2011. "Regression Discontinuity Designs with an Endogenous Forcing Variable and an Application to Contracting in Health Care," NBER Working Papers 17643, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cawley, John & Grabowski, David C. & Hirth, Richard A., 2006. "Factor substitution in nursing homes," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 234-247, March.
- Farber, H.S. & Abowd, J.M., 1990. "Product Market Competition, Union Organizing Activity, And The Employer Resistance," Working papers 551, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- John M. Abowd & Henry S. Farber, 1990. "Product Market Competition, Union Organizing Activity, and Employer Resistence," NBER Working Papers 3353, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gertler, Paul J & Waldman, Donald M, 1992. "Quality-Adjusted Cost Functions and Policy Evaluation in the Nursing Home Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(6), pages 1232-1256, December.
- Thomas J. Holmes, 2006.
"Geographic Spillover of Unionism,"
NBER Working Papers
12025, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oliver E. Williamson, 1967. "Hierarchical Control and Optimum Firm Size," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 123-123.
- John R. Bowblis, 2011. "Ownership conversion and closure in the nursing home industry," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(6), pages 631-644, June.
- Barry T. Hirsch, 2004.
"What Do Unions Do for Economic Performance?,"
Journal of Labor Research,
Transaction Publishers, vol. 25(3), pages 415-456, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp8240. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.