Impacts of Unionization on Quality and Productivity: Regression Discontinuity Evidence from Nursing Homes
This paper studies the effects of nursing home unionization on numerous labor, establishment, and consumer outcomes using a regression discontinuity design. We find negative effects of unionization on staffing levels and no decline in care quality, suggesting positive labor productivity effects. Some evidence suggests that nursing homes in less competitive local product markets and those with lower union density at the time of election experienced stronger union employment effects. Unionization appears to raise wages for a given worker while also shifting the composition of the workforce away from higher-earning workers. By combining credible identification of union effects, a comprehensive set of outcomes over time with measures of market-level characteristics, this study generates some of the best evidence available on many controversial questions in the economics of unions. Furthermore, it generates evidence from the service sector, which has grown in importance and where evidence has been thin.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Forthcoming: Industrial & Labor Relations Review|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
|Order Information:|| Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oliver E. Williamson, 1967. "Hierarchical Control and Optimum Firm Size," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 123.
- Ernst Fehr & Holger Herz & Tom Wilkening, 2012.
"The Lure of Authority: Motivation and Incentive Effects of Power,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4021, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ernst Fehr & Holger Herz & Tom Wilkening, 2013. "The Lure of Authority: Motivation and Incentive Effects of Power," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 103(4), pages 1325-59, June.
- Fehr, Ernst & Herz, Holger & Wilkening, Tom, 2012. "The Lure of Authority: Motivation and Incentive Effects of Power," IZA Discussion Papers 7030, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ernst Fehr & Holger Herz & Tom Wilkening, 2012. "The lure of authority: Motivation and incentive effects of power," ECON - Working Papers 099, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Ernst Fehr & Holger Herz & Tom Wilkening, 2012. "The lure of authority: Motivation and incentive effects of power," UBSCENTER - Working Papers 002, UBS International Center of Economics in Society - Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Ernst Fehr & Holger Herz & Tom Wilkening, 2010. "The Lure of Authority: Motivation and Incentive E ects of Power," Department of Economics - Working Papers Series 1115, The University of Melbourne.
- Gertler, Paul J & Waldman, Donald M, 1992. "Quality-Adjusted Cost Functions and Policy Evaluation in the Nursing Home Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(6), pages 1232-56, December.
- Patrick Bajari & Han Hong & Minjung Park & Robert Town, 2011. "Regression Discontinuity Designs with an Endogenous Forcing Variable and an Application to Contracting in Health Care," NBER Working Papers 17643, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Farber, H.S. & Abowd, J.M., 1990. "Product Market Competition, Union Organizing Activity, And The Employer Resistance," Working papers 551, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Reynolds, Morgan O, 1986. "Trade Unions in the Production Process Reconsidered," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(2), pages 443-47, April.
- Cawley, John & Grabowski, David C. & Hirth, Richard A., 2006. "Factor substitution in nursing homes," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 234-247, March.
- John R. Bowblis, 2011. "Ownership conversion and closure in the nursing home industry," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(6), pages 631-644, June.
- John M. Abowd & Henry S. Farber, 1990. "Product Market Competition, Union Organizing Activity, and Employer Resistence," NBER Working Papers 3353, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barry T. Hirsch, 2004.
"What Do Unions Do for Economic Performance?,"
Journal of Labor Research,
Transaction Publishers, vol. 25(3), pages 415-456, July.
- Thomas J. Holmes, 2006.
"Geographic spillover of unionism,"
368, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iza:izadps:dp8240. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.