Research intensive clusters and regional innovation systems: a case study of mechatronics in Apulia
This paper discusses some conditions under which the Cohesion Policy of the European Union can effectively contribute to enhance R&I in Europe and the extent to which it offers a relevant framework for devising Research & Innovation policies at regional level overcoming possible tensions and maximising potentials for synergy. To do so, the paper mainly relies on an in-depth illustrative case study of an Italian Southern region, Apulia. The paper describes the regional innovation system put in place by the Apulia Region and analyses the value added that can be attributed to such a system as far as innovation and economic development promotion are concerned; on this basis, findings from the case study are generalised in a set of lessons learned with hopefully more general relevance: these are discussed in Section 4.
|Date of creation:||07 Nov 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Corso Monforte 15, 20122 Milano MI|
Phone: + 39 02 796630
Fax: + 39 02 780703
Web page: https://www.csilmilano.com/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eero Lehto, 2007. "Regional Impact of Research and Development on Productivity," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(5), pages 623-638.
- Andres Rodriguez-Pose & Riccardo regstdcenzi, 2008.
"Research and Development, Spillovers, Innovation Systems, and the Genesis of Regional Growth in Europe,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(1), pages 51-67.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Riccardo Crescenzi, 2008. "Research and development, spillovers, innovation systems, and the genesis of regional growth in Europe," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 23326, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Wagner, Alfred, 1891. "Marshall's Principles of Economics," History of Economic Thought Articles, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, vol. 5, pages 319-338.
- Marshall, Alfred, 1890. "The Principles of Economics," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number marshall1890.
- Puga, Diego & Venables, Anthony J., 1996. "The Spread of Industry: Spatial Agglomeration in Economic Development," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 440-464, December.
- Diego Puga & Anthony J. Venables, 1996. "The spread of industry: spatial agglomeration in economic development," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 20683, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Diego Puga, 1996. "The Spread of Industry: Spatial Agglomeration in Economic Development," CEP Discussion Papers dp0279, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Puga, Diego & Venables, Anthony J, 1996. "The Spread of Industry: Spatial Agglomeration in Economic Development," CEPR Discussion Papers 1354, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- M. Florio, 1995. "Large Firms, Entrepreneurship and Regional Policy: "Growth Poles" in the Mezzogiorno over Forty Years," Departmental Working Papers 1995-04, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Kim, Yee Kyoung & Lee, Keun & Park, Walter G. & Choo, Kineung, 2012. "Appropriate intellectual property protection and economic growth in countries at different levels of development," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 358-375.
- Jaffe, Adam B, 1989. "Real Effects of Academic Research," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 957-970, December.
- Giunta Anna & Florio Massimo, 2002. "L'esperienza dei contratti di programma: una valutazione a metà percorso," L'industria, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 2, pages 359-396.
- Massimo Florio & Anna Giunta, 2001. "L'esperienza dei contratti di programma: una valutazione a metà percorso," Departmental Working Papers 2001-12, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Michael Porter, 2003. "The Economic Performance of Regions," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(6-7), pages 549-578.
- Fritsch, Michael & Stephan, Andreas, 2005. "Regionalization of innovation policy--Introduction to the special issue," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1123-1127, October.
- Emanuele Bacchiocchi & Massimo Florio & Anna Giunta, 2012. "Internationalisation and the agglomeration effect in the global value chain: the case of Italian automotive suppliers," International Journal of Technological Learning, Innovation and Development, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 5(3), pages 267-290.
- Massimo FLORIO & Luigi MORETTI, 2009. "The effect of business support on employment in manufacturing: evidence from the EU structural funds in Germany, Italy, and Spain," Departmental Working Papers 2009-33, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Bjorn Asheim & Helen Lawton Smith & Christine Oughton, 2011. "Regional Innovation Systems: Theory, Empirics and Policy," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(7), pages 875-891.
- Beñat Bilbao-Osorio & Andrés Rodríguez-Pose, 2004. "From R&D to Innovation and Economic Growth in the EU," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 434-455.
- Asheim, Bjorn T. & Coenen, Lars, 2005. "Knowledge bases and regional innovation systems: Comparing Nordic clusters," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1173-1190, October.
- Cooke, Philip, 2001. "Regional Innovation Systems, Clusters, and the Knowledge Economy," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 945-974, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)