Innovation focusing on regional development in a European context - towards a new research agenda
This article presents a review of recent research in order to discuss a new research agenda on the role of innovation, with focus on its relevance for regional development in a European context. The research question addressed is: what are the theories in recent literature on innovation in the perspective of regional development in order to develop policy-oriented conclusions? The analysis is based on a literature review of 15 articles published in 2012-2013 and is a further literature review analysis from 2011 and 2012. Results are indicating that there is an increasing role for regional policymakers e.g. that policymakers must both recognise and develop policies for forms of knowledge that have not traditionally been considered central to their activities, and an increasing role due to existing multi-level governance. Furthermore; the 'learning region' concept needs to be developed; a broader view and development of a heterodox approach to innovation including not only technological but also other types such as social and public innovation and the importance of networks and social capital for regional innovation are stressed.
Volume (Year): 7 (2016)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.inderscience.com/browse/index.php?journalID=234|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andres Rodriguez-Pose & Riccardo regstdcenzi, 2008.
"Research and Development, Spillovers, Innovation Systems, and the Genesis of Regional Growth in Europe,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(1), pages 51-67.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Riccardo Crescenzi, 2008. "Research and development, spillovers, innovation systems, and the genesis of regional growth in Europe," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 23326, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Zoltan J. Acs & Attila Varga, 2002. "Geography, Endogenous Growth, and Innovation," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 25(1), pages 132-148, January.
- Ian R. Gordon & Philip McCann, 2005. "Innovation, agglomeration, and regional development," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(5), pages 523-543, October.
- Jan Lambooy, 2005. "Innovation and knowledge: Theory and regional policy," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(8), pages 1137-1152, April.
- Maryann P. Feldman & Johanna L. Francis, 2004. "Homegrown Solutions: Fostering Cluster Formation," Economic Development Quarterly, , vol. 18(2), pages 127-137, May.
- Adrian Healy & Kevin Morgan, 2012. "Spaces of Innovation: Learning, Proximity and the Ecological Turn," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(8), pages 1041-1053, June.
- David B. Audretsch & Oliver Falck & Maryann P. Feldman & Stephan Heblich, 2012. "Local Entrepreneurship in Context," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(3), pages 379-389, April.
- Audretsch, David B. & Falck, Oliver & Feldman, Maryann P. & Heblich, Stephan, 2012. "Local entrepreneurship in context," Munich Reprints in Economics 20181, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Roel Rutten & Frans Boekema, 2012. "From Learning Region to Learning in a Socio-spatial Context," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 46(8), pages 981-992, July.
- Fritsch, Michael & Stephan, Andreas, 2005. "Regionalization of innovation policy--Introduction to the special issue," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1123-1127, October.
- Roberta Capello & Attila Varga, 2013. "Knowledge creation and knowledge diffusion in space and regional innovation performance: introductory remarks," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 51(1), pages 113-118, August.
- Hans Westlund, 2013. "A brief history of time, space, and growth: Waldo Tobler’s first law of geography revisited," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 51(3), pages 917-924, December.
- Richard Shearmur, 2011. "Innovation, Regions and Proximity: From Neo-Regionalism to Spatial Analysis," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(9), pages 1225-1243, February.
- Olof Ejermo, 2009. "Regional Innovation Measured by Patent Data—Does Quality Matter?," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 141-165.
- Ejermo, Olof, 2007. "Regional innovation measured by patent data – does quality matter?," Papers in Innovation Studies 2007/8, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Andreas P. Cornett, 2010. "Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Danish Regional Policy," Chapters,in: Entrepreneurship and Regional Development, chapter 10 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Bjørn Asheim & Ron Boschma & Philip Cooke, 2011. "Constructing Regional Advantage: Platform Policies Based on Related Variety and Differentiated Knowledge Bases," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(7), pages 893-904.
- Bjørn Asheim & Ron A. Boschma & Philip Cooke, 2007. "Constructing regional advantage: Platform policies based on related variety and differentiated knowledge bases," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 0709, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Nov 2007.
- Robert Huggins & Andrew Johnston & Piers Thompson, 2012. "Network Capital, Social Capital and Knowledge Flow: How the Nature of Inter-organizational Networks Impacts on Innovation," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 203-232, April.
- Henrik Halkier & Laura James & Margareta Dahlström & Jesper Manniche, 2012. "Knowledge Dynamics, Regions and Public Policy," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(11), pages 1759-1766, November.
- Berg, Sanford V., 2005. "Introduction to the Special Issue on service quality," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 187-188, September.
- Cali Nuur & Linda Gustavsson & Staffan Laestadius, 2009. "Promoting Regional Innovation Systems in a Global Context," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(1), pages 123-139.
- ., 2005. "Introduction: Democracy and Exchange," Chapters,in: Democracy and Exchange, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Natalia Irena Gust-Bardon, 2014. "Regional development in the context of an innovation process," International Journal of Innovation and Regional Development, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 5(4/5), pages 349-366.
- Todtling, Franz & Trippl, Michaela, 2005. "One size fits all?: Towards a differentiated regional innovation policy approach," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1203-1219, October.
- Philip McCann & Raquel Ortega-Argilés, 2013. "Modern regional innovation policy," Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, Cambridge Political Economy Society, vol. 6(2), pages 187-216.
- Anonymous & Paudel, Krishna, 2014. "Editors' Report - January 16, 2014," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 46(03), August.
- Roel Rutten & Frans Boekema, 2013. "Beyond the Learning Region: A New Direction for Conceptualizing the Relation between Space and Learning," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(5), pages 722-734, May.
- Kevin Morgan, 1997. "The Learning Region: Institutions, Innovation and Regional Renewal," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(5), pages 491-503.
- Asheim, Bjorn T. & Coenen, Lars, 2005. "Knowledge bases and regional innovation systems: Comparing Nordic clusters," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1173-1190, October.
- Cooke, Philip, 2001. "Regional Innovation Systems, Clusters, and the Knowledge Economy," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 945-974, December.
- Andy Pike & Andres Rodriguez-Pose & John Tomaney, 2007. "What Kind of Local and Regional Development and for Whom?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(9), pages 1253-1269.
- Roberta Capello & Camilla Lenzi, 2013. "Territorial patterns of innovation: a taxonomy of innovative regions in Europe," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 51(1), pages 119-154, August.
- Bjørn T. Asheim & Jerker Moodysson & Franz TÖdtling, 2011. "Constructing Regional Advantage: Towards State-of-the-Art Regional Innovation System Policies in Europe?," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(7), pages 1133-1139, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ids:ijirde:v:7:y:2016:i:1:p:1-19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Darren Simpson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.