Territorial patterns of innovation: a taxonomy of innovative regions in Europe
The recent policy approach to innovation calls for thematically/regionally focused innovation policies in line with the place-based approach (EC – Commission of the European Communities, 2010 ). To achieve this goal, without incurring the unrealistic situation of having one policy action for each European region, a sound taxonomy on innovative European regions is required. The present paper claims that the existing taxonomies are somewhat unsatisfactory, since either they group European regions only on the basis of the intensity of their knowledge production, taking it for granted that knowledge equates to innovation, or they lack a priori on the conceptual links among the variables used, and the territorial conditions behind local innovation modes. The paper presents a territorial taxonomy of innovative regions based on a new conceptual approach which interprets, not one single phase of the innovation process, but the alternative modes of performing the different phases of the innovation process, highlighting the context conditions that accompany each “territorial pattern of innovation.” The paper conceptually derives different territorial patterns of innovation and identifies them empirically for European regions. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2013
Volume (Year): 51 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.com/journal/168|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ron A. Boschma & Jan G. Lambooy, 1999. "Evolutionary economics and economic geography," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 411-429.
- A J Scott & D P Angel, 1987.
"The US semiconductor industry: a locational analysis,"
Environment and Planning A,
Pion Ltd, London, vol. 19(7), pages 875-912, July.
- A J Scott & D P Angel, 1987. "The US Semiconductor Industry: A Locational Analysis," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 19(7), pages 875-912, July.
- Ruth Rama, 2008. "Foreign investment innovation: a review of selected policies," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 353-363, August.
- Hall, B. & Jaffe, A. & Trajtenberg, M., 2001. "The NBER Patent Citations Data File: Lessons, Insights and Methodological Tools," Papers 2001-29, Tel Aviv.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Adam B. Jaffe & Manuel Trajtenberg, 2001. "The NBER Patent Citation Data File: Lessons, Insights and Methodological Tools," NBER Working Papers 8498, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Bronwyn H & Jaffe, Adam B & Trajtenberg, Manuel, 2001. "The NBER Patent Citations Data File: Lessons, Insights and Methodological Tools," CEPR Discussion Papers 3094, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roberta Capello & Camilla Lenzi, 2012. "R&D, innovation and economic growth: spatial heterogeneity in Europe," ERSA conference papers ersa12p187, European Regional Science Association.
- Yannick Lung, 2002. "Introduction," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 737-741, December.
- John Dunning, 2001. "The Eclectic (OLI) Paradigm of International Production: Past, Present and Future," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 173-190.
- Carlino, Gerald A. & Chatterjee, Satyajit & Hunt, Robert M., 2007. "Urban density and the rate of invention," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 389-419, May.
- Gerald A. Carlino & Satyajit Chatterjee & Robert M. Hunt, 2006. "Urban density and the rate of invention," Working Papers 06-14, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- John M. Quigley, 1998. "Urban Diversity and Economic Growth," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(2), pages 127-138, Spring.
- Jaffe, Adam B, 1989. "Real Effects of Academic Research," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 957-970, December.
- John Cantwell, 2009. "Location and the multinational enterprise," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 40(1), pages 35-41, January.
- Cooke, Philip, 2001. "Regional Innovation Systems, Clusters, and the Knowledge Economy," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(4), pages 945-974, December.
- Edward L. Glaeser, 1998. "Are Cities Dying?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(2), pages 139-160, Spring.
- Bogliacino, Francesco & Pianta, Mario, 2010. "Innovation and Employment: a Reinvestigation using Revised Pavitt classes," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 799-809, July.
- Carlsson, Bo, 2006. "Internationalization of innovation systems: A survey of the literature," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 56-67, February.
- John H Dunning, 2009. "Location and the multinational enterprise: John Dunning's thoughts on receiving the Journal of International Business Studies 2008 Decade Award," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 40(1), pages 20-34, January.
- Andre Torre & Alain Rallet, 2005. "Proximity and Localization," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 47-59.
- Attila Varga & Hans Schalk, 2004. "Knowledge Spillovers, Agglomeration and Macroeconomic Growth: An Empirical Approach," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(8), pages 977-989.
- Attila Varga & Dimitrios Pontikakis & George Chorafakis, 2010. "Agglomeration and interregional network effects on European R&D productivity," Working Papers 2010/3, University of Pécs, Department of Economics and Regional Studies, revised Jun 2010.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:anresc:v:51:y:2013:i:1:p:119-154. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.