Testing for co-jumps in high-frequency financial data: an approach based on first-high-low-last prices
This paper proposes a new test for simultaneous intraday jumps in a panel of high frequency financial data. We utilize intraday first-high-low-last values of asset prices to construct estimates for the cross-variation of returns in a large panel of high frequency financial data, and then employ these estimates to provide a first-high-low-last price based test statistic to detect common large discrete movements (co-jumps). We study the finite sample behavior of our first-high-low-last price based test using Monte Carlo simulation, and find that it is more powerful than the Bollerslev et al (2008) return-based co-jump test. When applied to a panel of high frequency data from the Chinese mainland stock market, our first-high-low-last price based test identifies more common jumps than the return-based test in this emerging market.
|Date of creation:||18 Aug 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 11E, Monash University, Victoria 3800, Australia|
Phone: +61 3 99052489
Fax: +61 3 99055474
Web page: http://business.monash.edu/econometrics-and-business-statistics
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://business.monash.edu/econometrics-and-business-statistics Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martens, Martin & van Dijk, Dick, 2007.
"Measuring volatility with the realized range,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 138(1), pages 181-207, May.
- Martens, M.P.E. & van Dijk, D.J.C., 2006. "Measuring volatility with the realized range," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2006-10, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Yin Liao & Heather Anderson & Farshid Vahid, 2010. "Do Jumps Matter? Forecasting Multivariate Realized Volatility Allowing for Common Jumps," ANU Working Papers in Economics and Econometrics 2010-520, Australian National University, College of Business and Economics, School of Economics.
- Yin Liao & Heather M. Anderson & Farshid Vahid, 2010. "Do Jumps Matter? Forecasting Multivariate Realized Volatility allowing for Common Jumps," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 11/10, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Jacod, Jean & Li, Yingying & Mykland, Per A. & Podolskij, Mark & Vetter, Mathias, 2009. "Microstructure noise in the continuous case: The pre-averaging approach," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 119(7), pages 2249-2276, July.
- Jacod, Jean & Li, Yingying & Mykland, Per A. & Podolskij, Mark & Vetter, Mathias, 2007. "Microstructure noise in the continuous case: the pre-averaging approach," Technical Reports 2007,41, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Zhang, Lan, 2011. "Estimating covariation: Epps effect, microstructure noise," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 160(1), pages 33-47, January.
- AÃ¯t-Sahalia, Yacine & Fan, Jianqing & Xiu, Dacheng, 2010. "High-Frequency Covariance Estimates With Noisy and Asynchronous Financial Data," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 105(492), pages 1504-1517.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Law, Tzuo Hann & Tauchen, George, 2008. "Risk, jumps, and diversification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 234-256, May.
- Tim Bollerslev & Tzuo Hann Law & George Tauchen, 2007. "Risk, Jumps, and Diversification," CREATES Research Papers 2007-19, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Maria Elvira Mancino & Simona Sanfelici, 2011. "Estimating Covariance via Fourier Method in the Presence of Asynchronous Trading and Microstructure Noise," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 9(2), pages 367-408, Spring.
- Christensen, Kim & Podolskij, Mark, 2007. "Realized range-based estimation of integrated variance," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 323-349, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:msh:ebswps:2011-9. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr Xibin Zhang)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.