Les normes fondamentales du travail contribuent-elles à réduire les inégalités ?
This article proposes an empirical investigation concerning the links between labour standards and income inequalities. In a first time, we build an index of core labour standards (child labour, forced labour, discrimination, freedom of association and ILO conventions). No links is found a priori with inequalities. This can be explained by the difference between ILO ratifications and effective enforcement of these standards. That is why, in a second time, we take into consideration the endogeneity of these norms thanks to instrumental variables. A new index of effective labour standards is obtained as an output of the political and juridical system. There is a high probability that countries with better institutions are more able to effectively put in place labour standards. We then find a Kuznet curb between standards and income inequalities for 90 countries between 1990 and 2001. Labour standards can be seem as an intermediate explicative factor to explain Kuznet curb.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 01 44 07 81 00
Fax: 01 44 07 81 09
Web page: http://mse.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Campano, Fred & Salvatore, Dominick, 1988. "Economic development, income inequality and Kuznets' U-shaped hypothesis," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 265-280.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, .
"Law and Finance,"
19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Thomas I. Palley, 2005. "Labour standards, democracy and wages: some cross-country evidence," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(7), pages 883-898.
- Jha, Sailesh K., 1996. "The Kuznets curve: A reassessment," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 773-780, April.
- Daniele Checchi & Cecilia Garcìa-Peñalosa, 2008.
"Labour market institutions and the personal distribution of income in the OECD,"
- Daniele Checchi & Cecilia Garc�A-Pe�Alosa, 2010. "Labour Market Institutions and the Personal Distribution of Income in the OECD," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 77(307), pages 413-450, 07.
- Daniele Checchi & Cecilia Garcia-Peñalosa, 2005. "Labour Market Institutions and the Personal Distribution of Income in the OECD," CESifo Working Paper Series 1608, CESifo Group Munich.
- Checchi, Daniele & García-Peñalosa, Cecilia, 2005. "Labour Market Institutions and the Personal Distribution of Income in the OECD," IZA Discussion Papers 1681, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Daniele Checchi & Cecilia García Peñalosa, 2005. "Labour Market Institutions and the Personal Distribution of Income in the OECD," UNIMI - Research Papers in Economics, Business, and Statistics unimi-1009, Universitá degli Studi di Milano.
- Squire, Lyn & Suthiwart-Narueput, Sethaput, 1997.
"The Impact of Labor Market Regulations,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 11(1), pages 119-43, January.
- Maskus, Keith E., 1997. "Should core labor standards be imposed through international trade policy?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1817, The World Bank.
- Rama, Martin, 2003.
"Globalization and workers in developing countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2958, The World Bank.
- Forteza, Alvaro & Rama, Martin, 2001.
"Labor market"rigidity"and the success of economic reforms across more than one hundred countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2521, The World Bank.
- Alvaro Forteza & Martín Rama, 2000. "Labor Market "Rigidity" and the Success of Economic Reforms Across more than One Hundred Countries," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0600, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Wood, Adrian, 1997. "Openness and Wage Inequality in Developing Countries: The Latin American Challenge to East Asian Conventional Wisdom," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 11(1), pages 33-57, January.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Milanovic, Branko, 1995. "Poverty, inequality, and social policy in transition economies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1530, The World Bank.
- César Calderón & Rodrigo Valdés & Alberto E. Chong, 2004.
"Labor Market Regulations and Income Inequality: Evidence for a Panel of Countries,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
6683, Inter-American Development Bank.
- César Calderón & Alberto Chong & Rodrigo O. Valdés, 2005. "Labor Market Regulations and Income Inequality: Evidence for a Panel of Countries," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Jorge Restrepo & Andrea Tokman R. & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Series Edi (ed.), Labor Markets and Institutions, edition 1, volume 8, chapter 7, pages 221-279 Central Bank of Chile.
- César Calderón & Alberto Chong & Rodrigo Valdés, 2004. "Labor Market Regulations and Income Inequality: Evidence for a Panel of Countries," Research Department Publications 4375, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Thomas I. Palley, 2004. "The economic case for international labour standards," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(1), pages 21-36, January.
- David BESCOND & Anne CHÂTAIGNIER & Farhad MEHRAN, 2003. "Seven indicators to measure decent work: An international comparison," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, vol. 142(2), pages 179-212, 06.
- Alvaro Forteza & Martin Rama, 2006. "Labor Market 'Rigidity' and the Success of Economic Reforms Across More Than 100 Countries," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(1), pages 75-105.
- Chau, Nancy H & Kanbur, Ravi, 2001. "The Adoption of Labour Standards Conventions: Who, When and Why?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2904, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matthew Higgins & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 1999.
"Explaining Inequality the World Round: Cohort Size, Kuznets Curves, andOpenness,"
NBER Working Papers
7224, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matthew Higgins & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 1999. "Explaining inequality the world round: cohort size, Kuznets curves, and openness," Staff Reports 79, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Michael Greenacre, 2008. "Correspondence analysis of raw data," Economics Working Papers 1112, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jul 2009.
- Bourguignon, F. & Morrisson, C., 1989.
"Income Distribution, Development and Foreign Trade: A Cross-Sectional Analysis,"
DELTA Working Papers
89-05, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Bourguignon, F. & Morrisson, C., 1990. "Income distribution, development and foreign trade : A cross-sectional analysis," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1113-1132, September.
- Anand, Sudhir & Kanbur, S. M. R., 1993. "The Kuznets process and the inequality--development relationship," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 25-52, February.
- Harrison, Ann E & Leamer, Edward, 1997. "Labor Markets in Developing Countries: An Agenda for Research," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(3), pages S1-19, July.
- Gudrun Biffl & Joseph E. Isaac, 2002. "How Effective are the ILO's Labour Standards under Globalisation?," WIFO Working Papers 178, WIFO.
- Papanek, Gustav F. & Kyn, Oldrich, 1986. "The effect on income distribution of development, the growth rate and economic strategy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 55-65, September.
- Rémi Bazillier, 2004. "Core labour standards and economic growth," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques bla04088, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Ahluwalia, Montek S., 1976. "Inequality, poverty and development," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 307-342, December.
- Brown, D.K. & Dearorff, A.V. & Stern, R.M., 1993. "International Labor Standards and Trade: A Theoretical Analysis," Working Papers 333, Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mse:wpsorb:bla06016. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.