Nominal Uniqueness and Money Non-neutrality in the Limit-Price Exchange Process
We define continuous-time dynamics for exchange economies with fiat money. Traders have locally rational expectations, face a cash-in-advance constraint, and continuously adjust their short-run dominant strategy in a monetary strategic market game involving a double-auction with limit-price orders. Money has a positive value except on optimal rest-points where it becomes a "veil" and trade vanishes. Typically, there is a peicewise globally unique trade-ant-price curve both in real and in nominal variables. Money is not neutral, either in the short-run or long-run, and a localized version of the quantity theory of money holds in the short-run. An optimal money growth rate is derived, which enables monetary trade curves to converge towards Pareto optimal rest-points. Below this growth rate, the economy enters a (sub-optimal) liquidity trap where monetary policy is ineffective; above this threshold inflation rises. Finally, market liquidity, measured through the speed of real trades, can be linked to gains-to-trade, households' expectations, and the quantity of circulating money
|Date of creation:||Jun 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 106-112 boulevard de l'Hôpital 75 647 PARIS CEDEX 13|
Phone: + 33 44 07 81 00
Fax: + 33 1 44 07 83 01
Web page: http://centredeconomiesorbonne.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nikolay Nenovsky & S. Statev, 2006. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00260898, HAL.
- Tsomocos, Dimitrios P., 2008.
"Generic determinacy and money non-neutrality of international monetary equilibria,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(7-8), pages 866-887, July.
- Dimitrios P. Tsomocos, 2006. "Generic Determinacy and Money Non-Neutrality of International Monetary Equilibria," OFRC Working Papers Series 2006fe07, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Gaël Giraud & Dimitrios Tsomocos, 2004.
"Global uniqueness and money non-neutrality in a Walrasian dynamics without rational expectations,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
b04121, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Gael Giraud & Dimitrios Tsomocos, 2004. "Global Uniqueness and Money Non-neutrality in a Walrasian Dynamics without Rational Expectations," OFRC Working Papers Series 2004fe15, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Pradeep Dubey & John Geanakoplos, 2003.
"Monetary Equilibrium with Missing Markets,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1389, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Mas-Colell,Andreu, 1990.
"The Theory of General Economic Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521388702, December.
- Charles Goodhart & Pojanart Sunirand & Dimitrios P. Tsomocos, 2004.
"A model to analyse financial fragility,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
24703, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Sahi, Siddhartha & Yao, Shuntian, 1989. "The non-cooperative equilibria of a trading economy with complete markets and consistent prices," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 325-346, September.
- Weyers, Sonia, 2003. "A strategic market game with limit prices," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(5-6), pages 529-558, July.
- M. Ruth & K. Donaghy & P. Kirshen, 2006. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Regional Climate Change and Variability, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1972. "Expectations and the neutrality of money," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 103-124, April.
- Pradeep Dubey & John Geanakoplos, 2006. "Determinacy with nominal assets and outside money," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 27(1), pages 79-106, 01.
- Champsaur, P. & Cornet, B., 1989. "Walrasian Exchange Processes," CORE Discussion Papers 1989030, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bottazzi, Jean-Marc, 1994. "Accessibility of Pareto optima by Walrasian exchange processes," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 585-603, November.
- MERTENS , Jean-François, 1996.
"The limit-price mechanism,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1996050, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Giraud, Gael, 2003. "Strategic market games: an introduction," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(5-6), pages 355-375, July.
- Champsaur, Paul & Dreze, Jacques H & Henry, Claude, 1977. "Stability Theorems with Economic Applications," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(2), pages 273-294, March.
- Smale, Stephen, 1976. "Dynamics in General Equilibrium Theory," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(2), pages 288-294, May.
- Alan P. Kirman, 1992. "Whom or What Does the Representative Individual Represent?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(2), pages 117-136, Spring.
- Gaël Giraud, 2004. "The limit-price exchange process," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques b04118, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Raphaël Espinoza & Charles. Goodhart & Dimitrios Tsomocos, 2009. "State prices, liquidity, and default," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 39(2), pages 177-194, May.
- Florig, Michael, 2001. "Hierarchic competitive equilibria," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 515-546, July.
- Tsomocos, Dimitrios P., 2003.
"Equilibrium analysis, banking and financial instability,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 39(5-6), pages 619-655, July.
- Dimitrios P. Tsomocos, 2003. "Equilibrium Analysis, Banking and Financial Instability," OFRC Working Papers Series 2003fe08, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Smale, Stephen, 1976. "Exchange processes with price adjustment," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 211-226, December.
- Jean-Michel Grandmont & Yves Younes, 1972. "On the Role of Money and the Existence of a Monetary Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 39(3), pages 355-372.
- M. Shubik & D. Tsomocos, 1992. "A strategic market game with a mutual bank with fractional reserves and redemption in gold," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 55(2), pages 123-150, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mse:cesdoc:10061. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.