Equilibrium Analysis, Banking and Financial Instability
This paper first extends the canonical General Equilibrium with Incomplete Markets (GEI) model with money and default to allow for competitive banking and financial instability. Second, it introduces capital requirements for the banking sector to assess the short and medium term macroeconomic consequences of the proposed New Basel Accord. Monetary Equilibria with Commercial Banks and Default (MECBD) exist and financial instability and default emerge as equilibrium phenomena. A non-trivial quantity theory of money is derived and the term structure of interest rates incorporates both the 'expectations' and the 'liquidity preference' hypotheses. Thus, monetary, fiscal and regulatory policies necessarily generate real effects. Non-neutrality relies upon the real and nominal determinacy of MECBD. A version of the liquidity trap holds and the Diamond-Dybvig (1983) result is a special case. Finally, because of the presence of capital requirements for banks, a trade off exists between regulatory policy and efficiency. The model provides a useful analytical device for policy analysis of situations in which crisis prevention and management become necessary to reduce the risks and costs of financial instability.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geanakoplos, J. D. & Tsomocos, D. P., 2002.
"International finance in general equilibrium,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 85-142, June.
- Bryce Hool, 1976. "Money, Expectations and the Existence of a Temporary Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 43(3), pages 439-445.
- Robert E. Lucas Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1984.
"Money and Interest in Cash-In-Advance Economy,"
628, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- M. Shubik & D. Tsomocos, 1992. "A strategic market game with a mutual bank with fractional reserves and redemption in gold," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 55(2), pages 123-150, June.
- Pradeep Dubey & John Geanakoplos & Martin Shubik, 2000. "Default in a General Equilibrium Model with Incomplete Markets," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1247, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Tobin, James, 1982. " The Commercial Banking Firm: A Simple Model," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(4), pages 495-530.
- Hart, Oliver D., 1975. "On the optimality of equilibrium when the market structure is incomplete," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 418-443, December.
- Pradeep Dubey & John Geanakoplos, 2003.
"Monetary Equilibrium with Missing Markets,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1389, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Jean-Michel Grandmont & Yves Younes, 1972. "On the Role of Money and the Existence of a Monetary Equilibrium," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 39(3), pages 355-372.
- Heracles M. Polemarchakis & Jacques H. Drèze, 1995.
- DREZE, Jacques H. & POLEMARCHAKIS, Heracles, "undated". "Monetary equilibria," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1525, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- DREZE, Jacques & POLEMARCHAKIS, Heracles, 2000. "Monetary equilibria," CORE Discussion Papers 2000044, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- DREZE, Jacques & POLEMARCHAKIS, Heracles, 1995. "Monetary equilibria," CORE Discussion Papers 1995078, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- GRANDMONT, Jean-Michel & YOUNES, Yves, "undated".
"On the efficiency of a monetary equilibrium,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
135, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1980. "Equilibrium in a Pure Currency Economy," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 18(2), pages 203-20, April.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 1998.
"Optimal Financial Crises,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 53(4), pages 1245-1284, 08.
- Bewley, Truman, 1983.
"A Difficulty with the Optimum Quantity of Money,"
Econometric Society, vol. 51(5), pages 1485-1504, September.
- John Geanakoplos & Andreu Mas-Colell, 1985.
"Real Indeterminacy with Financial Assets,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
770R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Oct 1985.
- Willem H. Buiter, 2002. "The Fiscal Theory Of The Price Level: A Critique," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(481), pages 459-480, July.
- Radner, Roy, 1972. "Existence of Equilibrium of Plans, Prices, and Price Expectations in a Sequence of Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 40(2), pages 289-303, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sbs:wpsefe:2003fe08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maxine Collett)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.