Unit root properties of natural gas spot and futures prices: The relevance of heteroskedasticity in high frequency data
We apply a unit root test that allows for heteroskedasticity and two structural breaks to daily data for natural gas spot and futures prices. In contrast to previous findings, the main result is that natural gas spot and futures prices are mean reverting. More generally, the results emphasize the need to allow for heteroskedasticity when applying unit root tests to energy spot and futures prices with high frequency data, such as daily data.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/eco/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.buseco.monash.edu.au/eco/research/papers/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paresh Kumar Narayan & Stephan Popp, 2013.
"Size and power properties of structural break unit root tests,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(6), pages 721-728, February.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan & Stephan Popp, 2011. "Size and power properties of structural break unit root tests," Financial Econometics Series 2011_07, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Robert S. Pindyck, 1999.
"The Long-Run Evolutions of Energy Prices,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 1-27.
- Presno, María José & Landajo, Manuel & Fernández, Paula, 2014. "Non-renewable resource prices: A robust evaluation from the stationarity perspective," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 394-416.
- Maslyuk, Svetlana & Smyth, Russell, 2008.
"Unit root properties of crude oil spot and futures prices,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 2591-2600, July.
- Svetlana Maslyuk & Russell Smyth, 2007. "Unit Root Properties of Crude Oil Spot and Futures Prices," Monash Economics Working Papers 40-07, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Sadorsky, Perry, 1999. "Oil price shocks and stock market activity," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 449-469, October.
- Elder, John & Serletis, Apostolos, 2008. "Long memory in energy futures prices," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 146-155.
- Mishra, Vinod & Smyth, Russell, 2014.
"Is monthly US natural gas consumption stationary? New evidence from a GARCH unit root test with structural breaks,"
Elsevier, vol. 69(C), pages 258-262.
- Vinod Mishra & Russell Smyth, 2014. "Is Monthly US Natural Gas Consumption Stationary? New Evidence from a GARCH Unit Root Test with Structural Breaks," Monash Economics Working Papers 09-14, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Ozdemir, Zeynel Abidin & Gokmenoglu, Korhan & Ekinci, Cagdas, 2013. "Persistence in crude oil spot and futures prices," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 29-37.
- Serletis, Apostolos, 1992.
"Unit root behavior in energy futures prices,"
1744, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ferreira, Paula & Soares, Isabel & Araujo, Madalena, 2005. "Liberalisation, consumption heterogeneity and the dynamics of energy prices," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(17), pages 2244-2255, November.
- Salisu, Afees A. & Mobolaji, Hakeem, 2013. "Modeling returns and volatility transmission between oil price and US–Nigeria exchange rate," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 169-176.
- Lee, Chien-Chiang & Lee, Jun-De, 2009. "Energy prices, multiple structural breaks, and efficient market hypothesis," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(4), pages 466-479, April.
- Lee, Junsoo & List, John A. & Strazicich, Mark C., 2006.
"Non-renewable resource prices: Deterministic or stochastic trends?,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 354-370, May.
- Junsoo Lee & John A. List & Mark C. Strazicich, 2005. "Nonrenewable Resource Prices: Deterministic or Stochastic Trends?," Working Papers 05-20, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Junsoo Lee & John A. List & Mark Strazicich, 2005. "Nonrenewable Resource Prices: Deterministic or Stochastic Trends?," NBER Working Papers 11487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Junsoo Lee & Mark C. Strazicich, 2003. "Minimum Lagrange Multiplier Unit Root Test with Two Structural Breaks," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 1082-1089, November.
- Ghoshray, Atanu & Johnson, Ben, 2010. "Trends in world energy prices," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1147-1156, September.
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Liu, Ruipeng, 2011.
"Are shocks to commodity prices persistent?,"
Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 409-416, January.
- Robin L. Lumsdaine & David H. Papell, 1997.
"Multiple Trend Breaks And The Unit-Root Hypothesis,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 79(2), pages 212-218, May.
- Tom Doan, . "LPUNIT: RATS procedure to implement Lumsdaine-Papell unit root test with structural breaks," Statistical Software Components RTS00110, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Salisu, Afees A. & Fasanya, Ismail O., 2013. "Modelling oil price volatility with structural breaks," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 52(C), pages 554-562.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mos:moswps:2014-20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Simon Angus)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.