Assessing Gender Inequality among Italian Regions: The Italian Gender Gap Index
This paper aims at exploring and evaluating the geographic distribution of gender inequality across Italian regions. The aim of the analysis is two-fold. First we build a composite indicator of gender inequality at the regional level for Italy by applying the methodology developed by the World Economic Forum for the Global Gender Gap Index. Second, we compute the Italian Gender Gap Index for each region in order to measure the within-country heterogeneity that characterizes Italy. We complete the analysis by presenting the correlation between the Italian Gender Gap Index and relevant socio-economic variables.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.recent.unimore.it/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alberto Alesina & Paola Giuliano, 2007.
"The Power of the Family,"
NBER Working Papers
13051, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paola Giuliano, 2005.
"Living Arrangements in Western Europe: Does Cultural Origin Matter?,"
2005 Meeting Papers
189, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Paola Giuliano, 2007. "Living Arrangements in Western Europe: Does Cultural Origin Matter?," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 5(5), pages 927-952, 09.
- Giuliano, Paola, 2006. "Living Arrangements in Western Europe: Does Cultural Origin Matter?," IZA Discussion Papers 2042, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David Sugarman & Murray Straus, 1988. "Indicators of gender equality for American states and regions," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 229-270, June.
- Maria Concetta Chiuri & Daniela Del Boca, 2007. "Living arrangements in Europe: exploring gender differences and institutional characteristics," CHILD Working Papers wp24_07, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Costantini, Valeria & Monni, Salvatore, 2009. "Gender disparities in the Italian regions from a human development perspective," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 256-269, March.
- Seguino, Stephanie, 2000. "Gender Inequality and Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1211-1230, July.
- Michela Nardo & Michaela Saisana & Andrea Saltelli & Stefano Tarantola & Anders Hoffman & Enrico Giovannini, 2005. "Handbook on Constructing Composite Indicators: Methodology and User Guide," OECD Statistics Working Papers 2005/3, OECD Publishing.
- Pamela Campa & Alessandra Casarico & Paola Profeta, 2011.
"Gender Culture and Gender Gap in Employment,"
CESifo Economic Studies,
CESifo, vol. 57(1), pages 156-182, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mod:recent:085. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.