Gender disparities in the Italian regions from a human development perspective
The aim of this paper is to analyse, which is the current situation of gender disparities in Italy and how such disparities are distributed among Italian regions. In order to quantify such disparities a comprehensive framework for assessment is required by using a human development approach. A gender-oriented investigation of effective available capabilities for men and women in the Italian regions reveals that gender inequality in Italy seems to be a persistent phenomenon. Finally, the gender disparities in the empowerment dimension and in the other social dimensions seem to be mutually reinforcing with the economic dimensions, especially in the labour market.
Volume (Year): 38 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620175|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sudhir Anand and Amartya Sen, 1995. "Gender Inequality in Human Development: Theories and Measurement," Human Development Occasional Papers (1992-2007) HDOCPA-1995-01, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Wolfson, Michael C, 1994. "When Inequalities Diverge," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 353-358, May.
- Wolfson, Michael, 1997. "Divergent Inequalities - Theory and Empirical Results (Revised Edition)," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 1997066e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Sabina Alkire, 2005. "Why the Capability Approach?," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 115-135.
- Ingrid Robeyns, 2005. "The Capability Approach: a theoretical survey," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 93-117.
- Pasquale De Muro & Salvatore Monni & Pasquale Tridico, 2008.
"Knowledge-based economy and social exclusion: shadows and lights in the roman socio-economic model,"
Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre'
0091, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Pasquale De Muro & Salvatore Monni & Pasquale Tridico, 2011. "Knowledge‐Based Economy and Social Exclusion: Shadow and Light in the Roman Socio‐Economic Model," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(6), pages 1212-1238, November.
- Ingrid Robeyns, 2003. "Sen'S Capability Approach And Gender Inequality: Selecting Relevant Capabilities," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2-3), pages 61-92.
- Bardhan, Kalpana & Klasen, Stephan, 1999.
"UNDP's Gender-Related Indices: A Critical Review,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 985-1010, June.
- Hanny Cueva Beteta, 2006. "What is missing in measures of Women's Empowerment?," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 221-241.
- Sakiko Fukuda-Parr, 2003. "The Human Development Paradigm: Operationalizing Sen'S Ideas On Capabilities," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2-3), pages 301-317.
- Stephan Klasen, 2006. "UNDP's Gender-related Measures: Some Conceptual Problems and Possible Solutions," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 243-274.
- Sen, Amartya, 1983. "Development: Which Way Now?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(372), pages 742-762, December.
- Javier Martinez Peinado & Gemma Cairo Cespedes, 2004. "Gender And Regional Inequality In Human Development: The Case Of Spain," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 37-64.
- A. Geske Dijkstra, 2006. "Towards a Fresh Start in Measuring Gender Equality: A Contribution to the Debate," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 275-283.
- Martha Nussbaum, 2000. "Women's Capabilities and Social Justice," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 219-247.
- Wolfson, Michael C, 1997. "Divergent Inequalities: Theory and Empirical Results," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 43(4), pages 401-421, December.
- A. Dijkstra, 2002. "Revisiting UNDP's GDI and GEM: Towards an Alternative," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 57(3), pages 301-338, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceco:v:38:y:2009:i:2:p:256-269. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.