Euro area inflation as a predictor of national inflation rates
The stability of inflation differentials is an important condition for the smooth working of a currency area, such as the European Economic and Monetary Union. In the presence of stability, changes in national inflation rates, while holding Euro-area inflation fixed contemporaneously, should be only transitory. If this is the case, the rate of inflation of the whole area can also be interpreted as a predictor, at least in the long run, of the different national inflation rates. However, in this paper we show that this condition is satisfied only for a small number of countries, including France and Italy. Better convergence results for inflation differentials are, instead, found for the USA.
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.recent.unimore.it/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Angeloni, Ignazio & Ehrmann, Michael, 2004.
"Euro area inflation differentials,"
Working Paper Series
0388, European Central Bank.
- PIROVANO, Mara & VAN POECK, André, 2011. "Eurozone inflation differentials and the ECB," Working Papers 2011014, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Wieland, Volker & Wolters, Maik, 2014.
"Is there a threat of self-reinforcing deflation in the euro area? A view through the lens of the Phillips curve,"
Kiel Policy Brief
79, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Wieland, Volker & Wolters, Maik, 2014. "Is there a threat of self-reinforcing deflation in the Euro area? A view through the lens of the Phillips curve," IMFS Working Paper Series 81, Goethe University Frankfurt, Institute for Monetary and Financial Stability (IMFS).
- John H. Cochrane, 1994. "Permanent and Transitory Components of GNP and Stock Prices," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 109(1), pages 241-265.
- Fisher, Lance A. & Huh, Hyeon-seung, 2007. "Permanent-Transitory Decompositions Under Weak Exogeneity," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(01), pages 183-189, February.
- Arghyrou, Michael G. & Gadea, Maria Dolores, 2012.
"The single monetary policy and domestic macro-fundamentals: Evidence from Spain,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 16-34.
- Michael G. Arghyrou & Maria Dolores Gadea, 2008. "The single monetary policy and domestic macro-fundamentals: Evidence from Spain," Documentos de Trabajo dt2008-05, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad de Zaragoza.
- Arghyrou, Michael G & Gadea, Maria Dolores, 2008. "The single monetary policy and domestic macro-fundamentals: Evidence from Spain," Cardiff Economics Working Papers E2008/23, Cardiff University, Cardiff Business School, Economics Section.
- Philip R. Lane & Patrick Honohan, 2003.
"Divergent Inflation Rates in EMU,"
Trinity Economics Papers
20034, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Philip R. Lane, & Patrick Honohan, 2003. "Divergent Inflation Rates in EMU," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp05, IIIS.
- Clive, W.J. & Lin, Jin-Lung, 1995. "Causality in the Long Run," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(03), pages 530-536, June.
- Patrick Honohan & Philip R. Lane, 2003. "Divergent inflation rates in EMU," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 18(37), pages 357-394, October.
- Antonio Ribba, 2009.
"On Some Neglected Implications of the Fisher Effect,"
Center for Economic Research (RECent)
033, University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Antonio Ribba, 2011. "On some neglected implications of the Fisher effect," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 451-470, April.
- Antonio RIBBA, "undated". "On Some Neglected Implications of the Fisher Effect," EcoMod2008 23800114, EcoMod.
- Catte, Pietro & Cova, Pietro & Pagano, Patrizio & Visco, Ignazio, 2011.
"The role of macroeconomic policies in the global crisis,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 787-803.
- Pietro Catte & Pietro Cova & Patrizio Pagano & Ignazio Visco, 2010. "The role of macroeconomic policies in the global crisis," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 69, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Filippo Altissimo & Pierpaolo Benigno & Diego Palenzuela, 2011. "Inflation Differentials in a Currency Area: Facts, Explanations and Policy," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 189-233, April.
- Guenter W. Beck & Kirstin Hubrich & Massimiliano Marcellino, 2009.
"Regional inflation dynamics within and across euro area countries and a comparison with the United States,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 24, pages 141-184, 01.
- Kirstin Hubrich, 2008. "Regional inflation dynamics within and across euro area countries and a comparison with the United States," Research Bulletin, European Central Bank, vol. 7, pages 7-9.
- Ribba, Antonio, 2003. "Permanent-transitory decompositions and traditional measures of core inflation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 109-116, October.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Nelson C. Mark & Robert J. Sonora, 2002. "Price Index Convergence Among United States Cities," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(4), pages 1081-1099, November.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-1580, November.
- Gonzalo, Jesus & Granger, Clive W J, 1995.
"Estimation of Common Long-Memory Components in Cointegrated Systems,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 27-35, January.
- Gonzalo, J. & Granger, C., 1992. "Estimation of Common Long-Memory Components in Cointegrated Systems," Papers 4, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS programs to replicate Gonzalo and Granger JBES 1995 paper," Statistical Software Components RTZ00074, Boston College Department of Economics.
- R. Fendel & M. Frenkel, 2009. "Inflation differentials in the Euro area: did the ECB care?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(10), pages 1293-1302.
- Rogers, John H., 2007. "Monetary union, price level convergence, and inflation: How close is Europe to the USA?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 785-796, April.
- Paul, Sunil & Ramachandran, M., 2011. "Currency equivalent monetary aggregates as leading indicators of inflation," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 2041-2048, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mod:recent:082. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.