On price convergence in Eurozone
We investigate price level convergence with Germany in eleven countries belonging to the Eurozone between January 1970 and July 2011. Relying on smooth transition regression models, we show that the price convergence process is nonlinear, depending on the size of the price differential: for most countries, price convergence occurs only when price differentials with Germany exceed a certain threshold. Moreover, our findings put forward some heterogeneity across the Eurozone members in terms of price convergence speed, that can be explained by the evolution of price-competitiveness, rigidities in labor markets, but also by specialization patterns.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 200 Avenue de la République, Bât. G - 92001 Nanterre Cedex|
Web page: http://economix.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Doms & Eric J. Bartelsman, 2000.
"Understanding Productivity: Lessons from Longitudinal Microdata,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 38(3), pages 569-594, September.
- Eric J. Bartelsman & Mark Doms, 2000. "Understanding productivity: lessons from longitudinal microdata," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2000-19, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Riemer P. Faber & Ad C. J. Stokman, 2009. "A Short History of Price Level Convergence in Europe," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(2-3), pages 461-477, 03.
- Patrick Honohan & Philip R. Lane, 2003. "Divergent inflation rates in EMU," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 18(37), pages 357-394, October.
- Miriam Camarero & Vicente Esteve & Cecilio Tamarit, 2000.
"Price convergence of peripheral European countries on the way to the EMU: A time series approach,"
Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 149-168.
- Camarero, M. & Esteve, V. & Tamarit, C., 1996. "Price Convergence of Periphical European Countries on the Way to the EMU: A Time Series Approach," Weiss Center Working Papers 96-2, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Rasmus Lentz & Dale T. Mortensen, 2005. "Productivity Growth And Worker Reallocation," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(3), pages 731-749, 08.
- Lutz, Matthias, 2003.
"Price Convergence under EMU? First Estimates,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003
143, Royal Economic Society.
- Matthias Lutz, 2003. "Price Convergence under EMU? First Estimates," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2003 2003-08, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- López Villavicencio, Antonia, 2008. "Nonlinearities or outliers in real exchange rates?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 714-730, July.
- Allington, Nigel FB & Kattuman, Paul A & Waldmann, Florian A, 2005. "One Market, One Money, One Price?," MPRA Paper 835, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fleming, J Marcus, 1971. "On Exchange Rate Unification," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 81(323), pages 467-88, September.
- Terasvirta, T & Anderson, H M, 1992. "Characterizing Nonlinearities in Business Cycles Using Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(S), pages S119-36, Suppl. De.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Frank Verboven, 2001.
"Market Integration and Convergence to the Law of One Price: Evidence from the European Car Market,"
NBER Working Papers
8402, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goldberg, Pinelopi K. & Verboven, Frank, 2005. "Market integration and convergence to the Law of One Price: evidence from the European car market," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 49-73, January.
- Goldberg, Pinelopi & Verboven, Frank, 2001. "Market Integration and Convergence to the Law of One Price: Evidence from the European Car Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 2926, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philip R. Lane & Patrick Honohan, 2003.
"Divergent Inflation Rates in EMU,"
Trinity Economics Papers
20034, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Philip R. Lane, & Patrick Honohan, 2003. "Divergent Inflation Rates in EMU," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp05, IIIS.
- Mario Crucini & Chris Telmer & Marios Zachariadis, .
"Understanding European Real Exchange Rates,"
GSIA Working Papers
227, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Mario J. Crucini & Chris I. Telmer & Marios Zachariadis, 2001. "Understanding European Real Exchange Rates," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0120, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 2004. "European product market integration after the euro," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 19(39), pages 347-384, 07.
- Weber, Axel A. & Beck, Günter W., 2005. "Price stability, inflation convergence and diversity in EMU: Does one size fit all?," CFS Working Paper Series 2005/30, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Mignon, Valérie & Guerreiro, David & Joëts, Marc, 2012.
"Is Price Dynamics Homogeneous Across Eurozone Countries?,"
Journal of Economic Integration,
Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 27, pages 609-632.
- David Guerreiro & Marc Joëts & Valérie Mignon, 2012. "Is price dynamics homogeneous across Eurozone countries?," EconomiX Working Papers 2012-4, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- David Guerreiro & Marc Joëts & Valérie Mignon, 2012. "Is price dynamics homogeneous across Eurozone countries?," Post-Print hal-01385838, HAL.
- Ivo Arnold & Bastiaan Verhoef, 2004. "External causes of Euro zone inflation differentials," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer;German National Library of Economics;Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS), vol. 39(5), pages 254-263, September.
- Dijk, Dick van & Franses, Philip Hans, 1999.
"Modeling Multiple Regimes in the Business Cycle,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(03), pages 311-340, September.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Nelson C. Mark & Robert J. Sonora, 2002. "Price Index Convergence Among United States Cities," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(4), pages 1081-1099, November.
- Rogers, John H., 2007. "Monetary union, price level convergence, and inflation: How close is Europe to the USA?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 785-796, April.
- Nigel F.B. Allington & Paul A. Kattuman & Florian A. Waldmann, 2005. "One Market, One Money, One Price?," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 1(3), December.
This item is featured on the following reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
- Wikipedia:Reference desk/Archives/Humanities/2012 July 27 in Wikipedia English ne '')
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:drm:wpaper:2011-34. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valérie Mignon)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.