Exchange Rate Policy and Economic Growth after the Financial Crisis in Central and Eastern Europe
In a paper on the effects of the global financial crisis in Central and Eastern Europe (CEE), the author reacts to a paper of Aslund (2011) published in the same issue of "Eurasian Geography and Economics" on the influence of exchange rate policies on the region’s recovery. The author argues that post-crisis corrections in current account deficits in CEE countries do not in themselves signal a return to steady economic growth. Disagreeing with Aslund over the role of loose monetary policy in fostering the region’s economic problems, he outlines a number of competitiveness problems that remain to be addressed in the 10 new EU member states of CEE, along with improvements in framework conditions supporting future macroeconomic growth.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +36 1 482-5155
Fax: +36 1 482-5029
Web page: http://web.uni-corvinus.hu/matkg/Email:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zsolt Darvas, 2009. "The EU's Role in Supporting Crisis-Hit Countries in Central and Eastern Europe," Policy Contributions 368, Bruegel.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2010.
"The Case for Reforming Euro Area Entry Criteria,"
1003, Department of Mathematical Economics and Economic Analysis, Corvinus University of Budapest.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2009.
"The Impact of the Crisis on Budget Policy in Central and Eastern Europe,"
0904, Department of Mathematical Economics and Economic Analysis, Corvinus University of Budapest.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2010. "The Impact of the Crisis on Budget Policy in Central and Eastern Europe," OECD Journal on Budgeting, OECD Publishing, vol. 10(1), pages 1-42.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2009. "The impact of the crisis on budget policy in Central and Eastern Europe," Working Papers 318, Bruegel.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2009. "The Impact of the Crisis on Budget Policy in Central and Eastern Europe," IEHAS Discussion Papers 0924, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Janos Varga and Jan in 't Veld, 2010. "The Potential Impact of EU Cohesion Policy Spending in the 2007-13 Programming Period: A Model-Based," European Economy - Economic Papers 422, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- André Sapir & Jean Pisani-Ferry, 2010.
"Whither Growth in Central and Eastern Europe ?Policy Lessons for an Integrated Europe,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/174279, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Jean Pisani-Ferry & Pavle Petrovic & Michael A Landesmann & Vladimir Gligorov & Daniel Daianu & TorbjÃ¶rn Becker & Zsolt Darvas & AndrÃ© Sapir & Beatrice Weder di Mauro, . "Whither growth in central and eastern Europe? Policy lessons for an integrated Europe," Blueprints, Bruegel, number 453.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2010.
"Beyond the Crisis: Prospects for Emerging Europe,"
1005, Department of Mathematical Economics and Economic Analysis, Corvinus University of Budapest, revised 09 Mar 2011.
- Zsolt Darvas, 2009. "The Baltic Challenge and Euro-Area Entry," Policy Contributions 357, Bruegel.
- Alan Ahearne & Juan Delgado & Jakob von WeizsÃ¤cker, 2008. "A tail of two countries," Policy Briefs 6, Bruegel.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mkg:wpaper:1103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Balazs Varga)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.