Innovation and Antibiotic Use within Antibiotic Classes: Market Incentives and Economic Instruments
We analyze a monopolist’s incentive to innovate a new antibiotic which is connected to the same pool of antibiotic treatment efficacy as is another drug produced by a generic industry. We outline the differences of antibiotic use under market conditions and in the social optimum. A time and state-dependent tax-subsidy mechanism is proposed to induce the monopolist and generic industry to exploit antibiotic efficacy optimally.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 418-656-2131 poste 5098
Web page: http://www.create.ulaval.ca
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fischer, Carolyn & Laxminarayan, Ramanan, 2005. "Sequential development and exploitation of an exhaustible resource: do monopoly rights promote conservation?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 500-515, May.
- Julien Daubanes, 2008.
"Optimal taxation of a monopolistic extractor: are subsidies necessary?,"
CER-ETH Economics working paper series
08/92, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- Daubanes, Julien, 2011. "Optimal taxation of a monopolistic extractor: Are subsidies necessary?," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 399-403, May.
- DAUBANES Julien, 2007. "On the Optimal Taxation of an Exhaustible Resource under Monopolistic Extraction," LERNA Working Papers 07.09.230, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
- Karp, Larry, 1992. "Efficiency Inducing Tax for a Common Property Oligopoly," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(411), pages 321-32, March.
- Laxminarayan, Ramanan & Brown, Gardner M., 2001.
"Economics of Antibiotic Resistance: A Theory of Optimal Use,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 183-206, September.
- Laxminarayan, Ramanan & Brown, Gardner, 2000. "Economics of Antibiotic Resistance: A Theory of Optimal Use," Discussion Papers dp-00-36, Resources For the Future.
- Herrmann, Markus, 2010.
"Monopoly pricing of an antibiotic subject to bacterial resistance,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 137-150, January.
- Markus Herrmann, 2009. "Monopoly Pricing of an Antibiotic Subject to Bacterial Resistance," Cahiers de recherche 0946, CIRPEE.
- Benchekroun, Hassan & Van Long, Ngo, 2002. "On the multiplicity of efficiency-inducing tax rules," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 331-336, August.
- Stéphane Mechoulan, 2007.
"Market structure and communicable diseases,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 40(2), pages 468-492, May.
- GAUDET, Gérard & HERRMANN, Markus, 2007.
"The Economic Dynamics of Antibiotic Efficacy under Open Access,"
Cahiers de recherche
04-2007, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Herrmann, Markus & Gaudet, Gérard, 2009. "The economic dynamics of antibiotic efficacy under open access," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 334-350, May.
- GAUDET, Gérard & HERRMANN, Markus, 2007. "The Economic Dynamics of Antibiotic Efficacy under Open Access," Cahiers de recherche 2007-04, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Rudholm, Niklas, 2002. "Economic implications of antibiotic resistance in a global economy," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1071-1083, November.
- Karp, Larry & Livernois, John, 1992. "On efficiency-inducing taxation for a non-renewable resource monopolist," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 219-239, November.
- Bergstrom, Theodore C. & Cross, John G. & Porter, Richard C., 1981. "Efficiency-inducing taxation for a monopolistically supplied depletable resource," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 23-32, February.
- Fischer, Carolyn & Laxminarayan, Ramanan, 2004.
"Monopoly Extraction of an Exhaustible Resource with Two Markets,"
dp-04-08, Resources For the Future.
- Carolyn Fischer & Ramanan Laxminarayan, 2004. "Monopoly extraction of an exhaustible resource with two markets," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 37(1), pages 178-188, February.
- Markus Herrmann & Ramanan Laxminarayan, 2010. "Antibiotic Effectiveness: New Challenges in Natural Resource Management," Annual Review of Resource Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 2(1), pages 125-138, October.
- Karp, Larry, 1992. "Social Welfare in a Common Property Oligopoly," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(2), pages 353-72, May.
- Ramanan Laxminarayan, 2002. "How Broad Should the Scope of Antibiotics Patents Be?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1287-1292.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lvl:creacr:2013-3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Johanne Perron)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.